Recording a synth into the Dr40X low input levels

Robin84

Gear owned
Tascam DR40X
Hello, first post here. This topic might have been done to death but please bear with me.
I have connected my synth to the Tascam DR40X and I am not very satisfied with the output levels. I have everything cranked up to the max and decibels never go beyond -15. I am wondering if anything can be done about it and if the cables might be an issue. The synth has TS unbalanced outputs, the Tascam TRS balanced inputs. I tried using both kind of cables but there's no difference in the audio output. In both scenarios one of the devices is not getting the right cable for it and I don't know if this is affecting the audio quality. I have seen there are TS to TRS adapters and wonder if they would be of any use. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Firstly, WELCOME !!

Okay, I'll start with the obvious, have you tried the two "Ext In" options on the switch on the left hand side of the unit? LINE/MIC/(not MIC+PHANTOM)? LINE level should give the best result, I'm thinking, though it depends on the synth,of which I know nothing about.(I have the DR40 so am assuming the DR40x has the same EXT IN slider switch)

is the synth outputting enough volume otherwise? like into an amp?

you could use a DI/preamp to boost, or use audacity or some daw to increase the volume after the fact. I mean it is digital so you can boost the volume later with no unwanted noise creeping in

Last edited:
Hello!
It could very well be that the synth is not outputting enough volume and that I might have to resort to a pre-amp. I was just wondering if the problem might be the cables and whether they might be affecting the volume. I have just purchased the TS to TRS adapters and I'll see if it makes any difference. I was mostly curious if other synth players had experienced the same.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.