Recording arm button is clicking/popping

I am doing home recordings with my M24 just using the multitrack recorder (no computer/daw), and today when I fired up the unit two of the channels are unusable. Audio records fine, but when I press the record arm button there is an audible sound that accompanies the flashing red light (like the turn signal in a car lol). The sound gets louder or softer accordingly as I move the fader up and down. It's not a huge problem I guess because when I press record and the armed channel lights change from flashing to solid red the sound goes away, but I'm just wondering if I've fried a couple channel strips or something...

I should add I've had the M24 for a few years and never had this issue until today.

Sounds like one or more capacitors went bad. Sorry to hear that your unit is out of warranty period. I noticed that at least one of my capacitors was dead on arrival. I return my unit for warranty repair.

Unless you like soldering yourself (or a friend of yours) and repplace all Chinese capacitors. On that occasion, you also could add the missing insert plugs. But all depends on how much you DIY.

Ah nuts. So is my best option to contact Tascam and send it in for repair? ...I should add I've had the M24 for a few years and never had this issue until today.
Or maybe see what member SkywaveTDR has to say. He's a Tascam service technician; worked for them in the Chicago service center. He has his own repair service now.

You can usually find Skywave in the analog area of the website. He's been a forum member for many years, and has always provided information and advice you can take to the bank.

Starting a thread with your issue in the "Tascam Analog" forum or the "DIY Repair and Mod" forum will get his attention. Since your Model 24 is an analog unit with a digital recorder, he may have some thoughts that may prove helpful.

There are also several other members in the Analog and DIY areas that are very knowledgable and also may have some thoughts to share in response.

But troubleshooting should always start by going first for the low hanging fruit. ;)

So first, you might want to check to be sure: Your firmware is up to date; you've done a factory reset; the contact isn't dirty after a few years' use (Deoxit is your friend); or you haven't inadvertantly left something on/connected that needs to be turned off/disconnected. The unexpected and sudden arrival of pops, clicks and other audio oddities very often trace back to one or more of those.

I suggest ruling those out before assuming a failed component is the cause, which of course is also possible. However, a search of the forum shows very few actual, confirmed, Model series hardware failures have been reported by forum members. So the odds are in your favor.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Adding to Mark's excellent outline above, taking a "nationalistic" approach to repair isn't productive. Electrolytic caps do go bad but that usually takes a number of years. Start with the simplest and work towards the complex.

Reactions: Mark Richards

New threads

Members online

No members online now.