Recording Level Question

Kevin Caffrey

Gear owned
Tascam DP-24SD
Hello,

I'm new to this board and purchased a Tascam DP-24SD a few months ago. I'm just now beginning to use it and I noticed that when I plug my acoustic/electric guitar into the H output & switch it to the guitar mode, it seems like there is a lot of extra noise when recording. It does not sound as "quiet" as I envisioned a machine like this sounding (prior to this, I've used Roland's 880 DWS and as long as I'm not pushing the input level all the way up, there's very little noise coming through when recording).

I find it hard to believe that this machine would be like that, so is it possible I am doing something wrong that I'm just not realizing?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

The machine-generated noise is negligible. If you're hearing noise, it's coming from whatever you are putting into that input. You can always turn the trim on the input down.

Reactions: mixerizer
Thanks, that would be my take on it too, but there's a definite difference when I put the same instrument in my Roland VS880 and put the trim up to an acceptable volume to record, and when doing the same on the Tascam, it seems that to get to an acceptable volume, it comes with a lot of noise/hiss.

Welcome to the forum Kevin. Do you get any noise with the switch set to line?
If your guitar has its own pre-amp, you may not need the high-impedance and extra gain provided by input H in 'guitar mode'.
Update: if you are using a built-in pre-amp on the guitar, are the batteries ok?

Last edited:
Reactions: shredd and dctdct
I tried with both line and guitar, and the noise still came through. The guitar does have it's own pre-amp so perhaps I should just try it in input A. Battery is new so I don't think that's a concern. Thank you for the feedback. If anyone else has any suggestions, they are appreciated!

Hello, with guitars may be a grounding problem.

If it were a grounding problem, any suggestions to resolve?

With the guitar volume turned up so you can hear the noise:

If you palm mute the guitar and rotate around in a circle, is there a perceptible change in the level of the noise?

I suggest checking also this very well explained investigation about noise levels on DP devices.
https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/residual-white-noise-on-dp24sd-headphone-output.8092/
Follow also the linked additional information in the thread. All in all it gives a very good explanation of all the involved details of this fact.
And how to mitigate it.

(as soon I understood the problem I got a control preamp which gets the output of my DP devices. I have now a quiet clean signal on phones and monitors)

Reactions: Kevin Caffrey

New threads

Members online