Red Book CD playback and other issues

JAMPROSOUND

Gear owned
SX-1 LE v. 1.52
Ok guys,

I have a series of questions about the SX-1 LE.

1. Can I play back a REDBOOK CD from the internal CD drive? If so, where has Tascam hidden the controls to do so? With help from those here, I've come closer to sorting this one out. The preview audio destination still eludes me but I'm at least able to find the preview function now.

2. I've tried unsuccessfully to contact Tascam about the FX upgrade for my SX-1 LE. I'm running version 1.52 and would love to obtain the additional FX. Is there any way to do so? Thanks to a very generous person who has shared some great files and info with all of us, I'm now up and running with v 1.52 LE Plus. The TC verb was well worth the hunt. Thank you!

3. My timecode display now stops at two frames after zero as the start point of all projects. I can't seem to sort out why. Any ideas? I'll just say it, I'm a little slow at times and missed the fact that the project I use as my default setup was the culprit here. Problem fixed with a new, clean project template.

4. I have 256 MB of RAM. Is there a performance gain by increasing this? If so, what is the easiest way to open up the console to make the swap?

5. Is there a way to enable the USB ports for use with a mouse and keyboard or at least to keep my iphone charged up? Maybe a bios setting Tascam never enabled? The USB Legacy mouse and keyboard setting in the bios got my wireless mouse up and running. I've yet to try the keyboard but for now, I'm happy with this.

6. Is there a way to actually enable the sample rate doubler Tascam promised would come eventually? I would love to track at 88.2kHz if possible.

7. I'm thinking of upgrading my old PTLE system to PT10 and using the SX-1 as my front end via the IF-FW/DM MKII card. Has anyone sucessfully used these together? I've read that the firewire is not supported by the BeOS system. Can anyone confirm this? Is it just a matter of enabling "Plug and Play OS" in the bios or does the MKII card work where the first version did not? Any input would be appreciated.

8. In regards to Pro Tools, I have been able to get pan sliders and some fader movement on Pro Tools to respond to SX-1 fader movement as a PT contoller. The assignments are way wrong but there is obviously MIDI control getting through to PT. That is with PTLE 6.4. I know version 8 and later have a MIDI learn feature but is there a way to map the SX-1 to PTLE 6.4?

9. How does the SX-1 stack up against other digital clock sources? I've been looking at the Black Lion Audio stuff for a while now and wondering if I would gain anything by clocking my SX-1 externally or if I'm good to stick with things as they are.

10. Are there any known bios tweaks that are worth making? Can I access the bios on boot up without an OS disc? I have made discs but wonder if I can get in without them. F7 and then entering macsaT as the password is the trick to this for those wondering.

11. I've heard there is a low noise fan option somewhere. Anyone have the info for that?

Overall, I absolutely love the unit and have not even tracked a project to it yet. The sole purpose so far has been as my mixer. The routing is so great!

Any help would be greatly appreciated and passed along as I see others needing it.

Thanks,

Justin

JAMPROSOUND said:
4. I have 256 MB of RAM. Is there a performance gain by increasing this?
RedBus@OldForum said:
The motherboard physically supports 3*256MB sticks of ram, but 768MB exposes a bug that prevents CD burning from working. The extra memory would only help if you're doing >10 hour projects anyway...
JAMPROSOUND said:
5. Is there a way to enable the USB ports for use with a mouse and keyboard or at least to keep my iphone charged up? Maybe a bios setting Tascam never enabled?
RedBus@OldForum said:
I think we had to disable the USB mouse support before shipping, because half the mice we tried caused hang up on boot.

JAMPROSOUND said:
7. I'm thinking of upgrading my old PTLE system to PT10 and using the SX-1 as my front end via the IF-FW/DM MKII card. Has anyone sucessfully used these together?
I don't think SX1 supports IF-FW/DM mkII. Even DM-24 doesn't.

JAMPRO......

I use the on board cd player/burner everyday to load in stuff......it's a little hidden, but easy.

1) Load your cd.
2) Go to the TRACK screen.
3) Look at the tabs on the lower part of screen under the waveforms (big screen, not the LCD) and find the one that says CLIP BROWSER.
4) click on the CLIP BROWSER tab.
5) click on IMPORT tab.
6) You will now see a new section that pops up saying IMPORT VOLUME.......with a small downward facing triangle......click and hold the triangle......
7) It gives you a second option : INTERNAL CD-RW..........click on that........
8) Import whatever you need.

NOTE: The CD may take a minute or so to load, if you don't see the importability of the CD right away just give it a minute.

The only really weird thing here is that the ONLY way to EJECT the CD when you are done is to eject it in that screen........you'll see the icon to the right of where it now says INTERNAL CD-RW...........

using the EJECT button by the loading tray WILL NOT WORK.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try the CD import. So, to play a song from a CD, it must be imported first? There is no way to just play directly from the CD?

I got I to the bios and now have my wireless USB mouse working without issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have to import - you can "preview" an individual CD track from the import screen.

When you navigate (via VGA screen) to Track Screen > Clip Browser > Import > Import Volume > Internal CD/RW , then the Import Files list will display tracks on the CD. Single click the required track and press [Preview].

As far as I know there is now way to use this Preview facility to play an entire CD.

Ok, I found the track preview but can't for the life of me find where the preview is playing to.

I am so thankful to have found the forums! I now have version 1.52 LE Plus installed and running. I'm still chasing the routing for CD preview though among a few of the other things I asked about. I'm really bummed to hear (on the other forum) that Firewire is not going to work on the SX-1. That really kills my plans considering I found the card new for $230.00 online.

Thank you everyone for the help!

Reactions: DJ X

New threads

Members online