Room EQ Wizrd (REW)

@skier I couldn't agree more about the lighting. I have networked lights with many presets. I even have a preset that flashes the lights when I've been working too late, lol.

Would these be LED strips that you are referring to?

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Snaf, you got it going on man.

@Peter Batah said:
Would these LED strips that you are referring to?

Xiaomi smart bulbs (I'm in Taiwan after all).

Mi Global Home

I have about 25 different Xiaomi products including air purifiers, fans, temp sensors and cameras, all automated to do things when certain conditions are met. When I'm in the studio and I just know I'll work all night unless otherwise prompted, I turn on the "midnight alert" automation profile. It flashes the lights to let me know it's midnight and I should call it a night. I have a temp/humidity sensor on my Soundcraft Ghost power supply that's connected, as well as a studio temp/humidity sensor. It alerts me if the environment gets out of tolerance.

Reactions: Peter Batah
Looking at the woofers in your Focal speakers, it appears that the controlling feature in horizontal placement has nothing to do with your woofers because they appear identical. Rather, you just want to place them so the tweeter is on top on both speakers. What I would do is to try them both in vertical placement and see how they sound, then try them horizontally. You may, for example, find that you get a wider sweet spot when they're placed horizontally or some other characteristic is more appealing to you.

What I did was to place under-shelf lighting in my studio. That way, the mixer, synth, and everything else on the surface is adequately lit, yet the lighting is soft in the room. The ceiling lighting is recessed and I dim them.

For me, I feel most inspired when composing, playing, recording, etc., when the lighting is soft in the studio. The only time I use full brightness is when I'm working on equipment, installing new equipment, or vacuuming/dusting/cleaning (UGHH!). Otherwise, it's soft and appealing to me. Whatever places you best in the mood, that's what you should implement in your personal studio. For some, they like to work most during the day with bright sun streaming in. Like so many aspects of creating music, what's right in your studio is what works best for you, and it's not the same for everyone.

You may, for example, find that you get a wider sweet spot when they're placed horizontally or some other characteristic is more appealing to you.

https://mega.nz/file/1pIW2RzA#umR2MxhvlR1hQCinB0c9paId-qn3L1venEOLUK_YB4Y

When you say that you placed under-shelf lighting:

Was this the varying length type or the puck style model? The mistake that I made was to build flat LED's directly into my ceiling absorption panels. Too late, I am NOT taking them down. I'm done with construction for a while. My wife had a great suggestion: How about the floor standing LED lamps that I could place in a corner or directly behind the desk. It would sort of drape over the DM.

I wish that IKEA were open for walk-in business. We have been in a lock down situation here for a month or so. Perhaps, this may sound weird. But, I rather enjoy the housekeeping part. It gives me time to reflect, distracts me from other things, and mostly allows me once again to really appreciate my gear and how far that I have come with my little studio getaway! Different strokes, right?

FH7oC6y.jpg

jCHheLS.jpg

Butchie Tavares (and backup band) Ellis Hall, Michael Dawe and many others did session work there, including songwriters Mike Kissel and Carl Bova. It was a great time to be alive, 22 years old with a 4-1/2 octave singing range, and in Boston.

Yes, in your room it sure would be. The studio I was referring to was larger than that. It was all glass, angled down.

I think you've done a great job with the space you have, Peter. I really like your acoustic panels you built, and everything else for that matter. For "not a commercial endeavor" it looks quite professional.

Alright! So now you have really peaked my / our interest. How does one go about listening to this golden 4-1/2 Octave range that you are referring to. C'mon let us have it. I promise, no one will judge :LOL:

mjk.asia

Not 22, but 30s to 40s.

@skier I couldn't agree more about the lighting. I have networked lights with many presets. I even have a preset that flashes the lights when I've been working too late, lol.

@MJK I love the flashing lights idea! And I laughed out loud when I read it. Who among us has not occasionally worked too long, drank too much, or chased a woman too long? Flashing lights in any of these applications would save us a lot of time and money. ;)

@snafu I like your studio! I was able to see each pic except your Control Room - the link didn't work, at least for me. Not speaking German, I had to guess at some measurements - I translated others. My girlfriend is away at the moment, but she speaks fluent German so she'll translate the rest when she returns. Thanks for pics and graphs!

@Peter Batah said:

Xiaomi smart bulbs (I'm in Taiwan after all).

Mi Global Home

I have about 25 different Xiaomi products including air purifiers, fans, temp sensors and cameras, all automated to do things when certain conditions are met. When I'm in the studio and I just know I'll work all night unless otherwise prompted, I turn on the "midnight alert" automation profile. It flashes the lights to let me know it's midnight and I should call it a night. I have a temp/humidity sensor on my Soundcraft Ghost power supply that's connected, as well as a studio temp/humidity sensor. It alerts me if the environment gets out of tolerance.

Common MJK; COME CLEAN! Are you getting some sort of "kickback" plugging Xiaomi products? (How do we get in on that?) :cool:

You may, for example, find that you get a wider sweet spot when they're placed horizontally or some other characteristic is more appealing to you.

https://mega.nz/file/1pIW2RzA#umR2MxhvlR1hQCinB0c9paId-qn3L1venEOLUK_YB4Y

Wow! Your Focals are very flexible and even provide a switch to maintain symmetry with the mid-range speakers - very cool!

When you say that you placed under-shelf lighting:

Was this the varying length type or the puck style model? The mistake that I made was to build flat LED's directly into my ceiling absorption panels. Too late, I am NOT taking them down. I'm done with construction for a while. My wife had a great suggestion: How about the floor standing LED lamps that I could place in a corner or directly behind the desk. It would sort of drape over the DM.

I wish that IKEA were open for walk-in business. We have been in a lock down situation here for a month or so. Perhaps, this may sound weird. But, I rather enjoy the housekeeping part. It gives me time to reflect, distracts me from other things, and mostly allows me once again to really appreciate my gear and how far that I have come with my little studio getaway! Different strokes, right?

I currently have these thin metallic incandescent strip lights. They work well, but generate heat that's wasted power. I'll be replacing them with LED strips. I already have 30 feet (about 10 m) of them and am not sure if I'll first try them in the studio or for lighting the drone cabinet.

You like housekeeping? How are you with dishes, windows, and vacuuming? I'm willing to try you out for a part time job here and I'
ll also let you play in the studio - watcha think?

@skier I'll pass on the dishes, windows, and vacuuming. But will take you up on your studio offer. I'll take payment in gear. We can start with an advance. How about that U87 that needs a gentle dusting off. :LOL:

@skier You said: Wow! Your Focals are very flexible and even provide a switch to maintain symmetry with the mid-range speakers - very cool!

You may be confusing my Focals for the Twin6 BE model. The Solo6 BE's big brother. I don't think that my model has that switch

So, this is my recording room from north diagonal...
https://imgur.com/o6oYbvw
to south diagonal
https://imgur.com/ZS240xN

And this is my control room:
https://imgur.com/undefined

Here is 3D-print to get you some orientation:
https://imgur.com/ANVtJOf

Now, as you already can see, I am short on space - never the less, you can make some beautiful music in here :rolleyes:

As it came to acoustical treatment, I was kinda lost. The internet is full of half-truths, and sometimes complete nonsense. I couldn't go the long way and figure out everything by myself. As I said earlier, I lay my fate in the hands of some professionals in Berlin, and after all, I am very glad I did!

Since my "studio" is two rooms in my basement, I wasn't expecting too much, or better said: I was expecting quiet some compromises. And yes, there are some (no grand piano recording in here ;)), but I was certain of them right from the start.

So - here are my measurements, taken, when the rooms where finished, but untreated:
https://imgur.com/MnIayBn
orange was my room response back than - blue was the aimed value of T60 recommendation.

And the same for the recording room:
https://imgur.com/97WrkIR

After the acoustical treatments I measured again. company. This are their results:
https://imgur.com/17WfZW9
https://imgur.com/oQC1PiY

and the recording room:
https://imgur.com/BgMDZsU
https://imgur.com/V2vOW2L

All in all, I can't complain :)

Peter, I really dig your photos - you gave your room a nice touch, and I really like your choice of finish for your absorbers, the carpet and lighting! This looks like the kinda place you want to be when recording - nice job!
All the best,
snafu

EDIT: Sorry - just links, no photos; I did use "link" instead of "image":confused:

BTW: All the links that you provided work for me. Thank you for complimenting my little room. I like what you have done with your panels as well. I took a look at the measurement. I am no pro but it appears that you are getting a pretty flat response. I could be wrong but, it does not seem that REW was used. Am I wrong

@skier I'll pass on the dishes, windows, and vacuuming. But will take you up on your studio offer. I'll take payment in gear. We can start with an advance. How about that U87 that needs a gentle dusting off. :LOL:
Common, Peter; you can't just "cherry pick" the payment you like. In fact, if you can find a U87 here, I'd fight you tooth and nail to keep it for myself. Nahhh, I'm afraid I don't have any mics of that caliber.

@MJK I love the flashing lights idea! And I laughed out loud when I read it. Who among us has not occasionally worked too long, drank too much, or chased a woman too long? Flashing lights in any of these applications would save us a lot of time and money. ;)

Fortunately, out of those 3, I'm only guilty of 1 of those at my age lol. That little lighting automation has helped me get needed rest because I actually hate the idea of sleep as it wastes so much time.

@skier You said: Wow! Your Focals are very flexible and even provide a switch to maintain symmetry with the mid-range speakers - very cool!

You may be confusing my Focals for the Twin6 BE model. The Solo6 BE's big brother. I don't think that my model has that switch

I was looking at the PDF manual from the link you supplied and didn't even notice they were for the TWIN6 BE - I thought the manual was for your Focals.

Fortunately, out of those 3, I'm only guilty of 1 of those at my age lol. That little lighting automation has helped me get needed rest because I actually hate the idea of sleep as it wastes so much time.

I was actually guilty of all 3 in my late teens and 20s. Women were throwing themselves at us musicians, but as you said, those days are gone. I think I'm ok with that... hmmm, still thinking...

New threads

Staff online

Members online