Routing a vocal processor while recording with SX-1

Hubert Temba

From
Minneapolis MN
Website
www.huberttemba.com
Gear owned
Tascam SX 1LE
I would like to add a vocal processor on the channels in recording vocals on my Tascam SX-1. I would like to hear those effects while recording and during playback before MIXDOWN. I’m going to use the
TC Electronic M ONE Multi Effects Processor
planning to use the effects send and effects return routing.
Can someone who is using a similar unit tell me how I can make this work? My mind tells it’s possible. I just want more help. Thank you in advance.
The unit has MIDI connection too. I don’t know how a 20 year unit will work with a more modern MIDI unit.

A little more - I recommend an insert versus a send and return because often w vocal processors, u are fine tuning the effect on the device and u only intend to work with a single source on that processor at once. If that’s the case, try an insert.

However, if u wanna blend in the return signal from the processor with the original signal on the mixer, and apply different sources to the processor at once, use a send and return as you plan.

To use it on a send and a return is a little more complex - u will blend the return in with the dry signal in the mixdown. Plug the device outputs into two channels of the mixer, make them a stereo pair, and assign those channels to the stereo main (I assume that’s what u are mixing down to). Plug the aux send 1 and 2 into the m-one inputs, and then bring up aux 1-2 on the channels u want to send to the m-one for processing. Make sure the aux is pre-fader if u wanna reduce the dry signal without reducing the aux.

this stuff is covered a little later in the manual, around page 64.

enjoy!

No problem, good luck and looking forward to hearing how it goes!

a few other items - if that processor has a digital SPDIF input and output, you can try using the compatible SPDIF on the SX-1 to keep the effect digital.

Also, as far as MIDI - u can treat the devices separately, not even connected, until u want to control aspects of the M-One w the SX-1 (like recording changes in presets or parameters during a song). You would do this with MIDI Program change (to change presets on the M-one at points in the time code) or control change (to change parameters using sliders, knobs etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hubert Temba
I’ll be using these: Tascam AVP1 vocal producer and TC Electronic M-One Dual Processor just for my vocals. I record using two Rohde condenser microphones so I have two vocal tracks. After I have recorded the vocal tracks dry, SHOULD I audition the playback of the vocal tracks using insert or send on the SX-1X LE? I have never audition my recorded vocals before. Thank you in advance.

I would use an insert on the two channels for stuff like eq and dynamics (Compressors, limiter etc), and an aux send and return (or stereo pair) for stuff like delays, reverb, etc.

I know the m-one does both sorts of tasks, and I use the built in TC version of Antares on the DM 4800.

The insert lets u process the mix of dry vs processed signal right there on the channels. The aux send and return lets you mix the returning effect (wet) signal with the dry while u can still process them separately (different eq to roll off the high end on the delay return, more Bass on the reverb etc.)

Hey there - I took a look at both units and you will have trouble using the AVP-1 as an insert because it has a single input. But it has a stereo output (analog and digital). So it might be best suited as a mono aux send and a stereo return.

the m-one has stereo inputs and outputs, analog and digital - so it can serve as a stereo effect on your stereo recorded tracks, or on the mains, as an insert a lot more easily. Use the SPDIF digital inputs and outputs (rca jacks) on both devices if u aren’t already using them to keep it digital.

What is the commercial name of the MOne unit you’re mentioning? I also noticed the Tascam AVP1 is single unit into 2 (stereo) outputs. The previous version of Antares AVP1 is still similar with single input and stereo outputs.
My aim is to make my vocals commercial sounding. For mix down: compression, expander, limiting etc what do you recommend I should use during mastering if I want to use a rack-mountable effects unit.
Thank you. You’re very helpful.

Hey there, my pleasure to help, you seem to have this pretty well understood, the trick is to experiment.

I was referring to the same device u mentioned, the TC Electronic M-One Dual Processor. That one has two inputs and two outputs, so u could use it in mono or in stereo. The other unit, w one input, will Give u a stereo output but has a mono input,

I would try using the internal compressor and eq in the sx-1 on each channel, and using your rack devices as effects like a nice special delay or vocal treatment. Nothing wrong with picking one at first, and then moving to the next one once u find some use of the first unit that u love and want to stick to (for the time being anyway!).

the sx-1 is a lot rarer than the dm-4800 and such, but a lot of the same interface principles apply. Don’t hesitate to apply some of the advice u see in those conversations to the sx-1 as well.

That’s what it’s all about! Have fun and enjoy the process. When you like what u hear, take note of what u did and next time, u can start from there and go in an all new direction!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.