S/PDIF connections

mrtepayne

Gear owned
Tascam DM 3200
I have a question about the digital connections. How do you route something from the S/PDIF connection and into the firewire for recording. I am still trying to figure out all the routing in this DM3200! I have an old M-Audio 1010 card and I have the digital out connected to the digital input of the DM3200. Thanks!!

Step #1: Determine WHICH SPDIF input you're using. The DM calls these DIG1 and DIG2. Let's say you're using DIG1.

Step#2. Hit ROUTING/INPUT. On the right side of the screen are a myriad of choices. Cursor over to DIGI IN and hit enter.

Step #3: Choose which fader module(s) you intend to assign signal from that DIGI-in port (SPDIF). Let's say it's Module #1 #2 for a Stereo Input. (Be sure you've already paired the intended modules for stereo.) SELect Module #1, and on the left part of the screen highlighted by that selection (Input #1), scroll through the choices 'till you see DIG1/L . Hit ENTER. Next, go down to Input #2, scroll through the choices 'till you see DIG1/R. Hit enter.

Step#4. Ensure Inputs #1/#2 are Assigned to the DM's Stereo Bus for monitoring. A simple push of the button on the upper left panel of the console: STEREO.

Since you haven't stated which DAW you're using, I'll stop here.

CaptDan

Hi Captdan!

Thank you for your response!! Sorry about the DAW. We use Sonar X2 Producer.

Thanks,

Tim

captdan said:
Step #1: Determine WHICH SPDIF input you're using. The DM calls these DIG1 and DIG2. Let's say you're using DIG1.

Step#2. Hit ROUTING/INPUT. On the right side of the screen are a myriad of choices. Cursor over to DIGI IN and hit enter.

Step #3: Choose which fader module(s) you intend to assign signal from that DIGI-in port (SPDIF). Let's say it's Module #1 #2 for a Stereo Input. (Be sure you've already paired the intended modules for stereo.) SELect Module #1, and on the left part of the screen highlighted by that selection (Input #1), scroll through the choices 'till you see DIG1/L . Hit ENTER. Next, go down to Input #2, scroll through the choices 'till you see DIG1/R. Hit enter.

Step#4. Ensure Inputs #1/#2 are Assigned to the DM's Stereo Bus for monitoring. A simple push of the button on the upper left panel of the console: STEREO.

Since you haven't stated which DAW you're using, I'll stop here.

CaptDan

Unless you're among the 'avante guarde' who like to print the DM's EQ and dynamics to your DAW tracks, you'll want to use the INPUT BYPASS method. This allows you to route directly from your outboard preamp/device to your DAW, bypassing the DM fader module's effect on the signal.

Using the steps in the previous message (essentially for monitoring input), the next series of steps route signal to the DAW. (I'm not a Sonar user, so you'll have to fill in those blanks.):

Step #1. Hit: ROUTING/OUTPUT SLOT (I repeat: OUTPUT "SLOT" - 3rd tab on the bottom of the Routing menu).

Step #2. If you've set up your ASIO/Firewire channels for the computer to receive 32 inputs (there are two choices 16 & 32; the former is used to conserve processing power if 32 channels aren't needed at all times.), you'll need to choose two available channels (for stereo). Most users dedicate channels firewire output slots 31/32 for this purpose. In which case, using POD#3, dial down to the 3rd output bank - 24-32.

Step #3. Select channel modules 31/32. On the upper right of the routing screen, you'll see a box - INPUT BYPASS. Locate the DIG option and hit enter. Next, on the left part - Output 31 - highlight it and scroll through the choices 'till DIG-L shows up. Hit enter. Repeat the same step for Output 32 - using DIG-R.

Step #4: In Sonar, choose the Stereo track to which the input will be assigned. Designate ASIO/DMfirewire inputs 31/32 as the input source.

Hope this helps you.

CaptDan

Thank you very much! I will give it a try!

Tim

I made a mistake in Step #3: On the left side of the routing menu, the output slots are represented in banks of 8. So, when Pod #3 selects numbers 24-32, you'll see a stack of boxes - by default - labeled Buss/Dir 1-8. Curser over to Buss/Dir 7, (which in this case is output slot #31), and change that to DIG1-L. Repeat for #32 , etc.

CaptDan

Oh Capt. Dan.... Where would I be without your posts from 7 years ago..

Keep it up. You're doing God's work! Thanks!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.