Sd card question

Curt Curtis

From
Tulsa
Gear owned
Dp008ex
Newb question. How do I move a song from the card to the music folder of the unit for adding tracks to a song?

Not sure what exactly you mean, or which machine you are referring to. Your 'gear details' says dp008ex, but the post is in the Model 24/16/12 section. I'm guessing you mean a dp008 as your previous post was about using a footswitch with that.
According to the dp008 manual (page 75. I don't have that machine), it only has BACKUP, WAVE and UTILITY folders visible to a computer. You have to transfer wave files to/from the WAVE folder and then use import and export to get them into or out of a song. The song itself can't be seen by a computer as it lives in an MTR partition which only Tascam machines can understand.

It's a model 12. A band member has recorded a song on my 008. He converted it to a wave file, and gave it to me on a flash drive. I saved it to my computer, then moved it to my model 12. It shows up on the sd card, but l can't add a track there. I need to move it to the song section, l think to edit.

Ok that's much clearer thanks.
I'll leave it to a Model 12 owner to confirm (I don't have one of these either!), but there will be a section in the user manual for transferring wave files from a computer. It sounds similar to the DP-24/32 models (which I have) whereby you copy the wave file into a temporary folder first - in your case I believe it's the MUSIC folder (on the DP24/32 it's called AudioDepot), and then you run an Import function to convert that file into a track in your song.
If it's like the DP models, the wave file format must match the format used by your song otherwise it won't let you import... but again I'm not sure about this so unless you can find your own way through the user manual, best wait for a Model 12 owner to chime in.

That's correct, it should go into the MUSIC folder. Then from the model 12 go to the menu and MTR>TRACK EDIT>TRACK IMPORT and it should give you options to import to the current open song.

Here's a link to the manual:
https://tascam.com/downloads/products/tascam/model_12/e_model-12_om_va.pdf

Page 51 details putting the WAV in the MUSIC folder, and 38 details importing it into your song (no idea why it's out of order like that).

Even better, though, this video from Tascam shows the whole process really clearly:

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Mattchee. I can see it in the import section as a wave file, but it gives error message when l highlight it, and hit yes.

Does it just say error, with no real indication about why?

According to the instructions in the manual that begin on page 38, errors could be caused by:

- no empty tracks to import to (remember, if the file is stereo, it will need TWO empty tracks)
- not enough space on the SD card (remember, it is making a copy)
- the frequency of the WAV is different from that of your song (ie your wav is 48kHz and your song is 44.1kHz)

I just tested the procedure above on my Model 12 -- I was able to import a WAV file from the MUSIC folder on the SD card into a Song. It was a stereo export from a song I created with the Model 12It took the stereo track and split it onto 5 & 6, or I could have picked one of the stereo channels instead. VLC reports the file that works is PCM S24 LE, stereo, 48kHz, 32-bits per sample.

When I try to import a WAV file I created in Reaper and put on the SD card however, it says "File Error" when I pick the file. I can't play that WAV file on the Model 12 in SD Card Play mode either -- I get the same error -- so I presume it's something about the formatting I rendered the WAV file as. This file that doesn't work is 32 bits float LE, stereo, 48kHz, 32-bits per sample -- so it must be a problem with the codec in my case.

You need to render at 24bits/48kHz.

New threads

Members online