Sending audio from mixer to DP32

Magpie

Gear owned
Tascam DP-32
Hi everyone, I was wanting to know the best way to do this. Our band uses a Soundcraft EFX 8 mixer for vocals. I was wondering the best way to send a line out from the Soundcraft into one channel of the DP32? (so, I'm summing all the vocals down to one channel, thereby freeing up a couple of channels in the DP32) I suppose it's via an Aux send, but there is also a mono send on the mixer. I don't know which would be better. And do I need to use a balanced or unbalanced cable to do it? Thanks

Resident Moron here (you’ve been warned)…
I also use a very capable mixer to feed signals to my DP-32 (as well as sending other stuff direct to DP inputs)…here’s what I’d say:

If I were me (and you’re summing everything to a single mono or stereo signal) I’d use either the Main Outs and/or the Sub/s to send to DP input/s.

If you wanna get creative, you can use panning & send/returns to send different mic’s to different DP inputs. I’ve gotten kewt & sent 3 separate outs to 3 DP inputs to process each differently.

Thanks shredd, I can't use the Main Outs as they are going to the PA speakers, so I suppose I can only us

Thanks shredd, I can't use the Main Outs as they are going to the PA speakers, so I suppose I can only us
A-ha...you left that important little nugget out!
So - in your case, you'd probably use a Sub out (make sure all your mic's are assigned to the mains, to go out to the PA - AND to the subs, to go to your DP). Note that in some cases (my mixer being an example) that this may affect your use of internal FX and/or sends. For example, I can assign the internal FX of my mixer to the mains OR the subs, but not both...o_O
Those "mono sends" you mention would probably work - except I don't get how you'd sum several mic's into one send. Routing issue.
As far as cables - if I were me, I'd use balanced. Can't hurt, probably help.

Thanks shredd, that all makes sense to me. I think I'll use the Aux out with the it set to pre-fader, giving me the ability to leave the FOH levels untouched but I'll be able to control the amount of signal via the Aux controls that I send to the Dp

Just in case you are willing to experiment with your mixer, usually half-plugging (first "click") an insert jack makes it usable as direct out. I see the Soundcraft EFX8 has both channel and mix inserts from which you could tap a signal to send to the DP32 without breaking the path to PA. BTW if the jack is fully inserted it does break the channel/mix path so be mindful.

Reactions: dctdct
Got a look at your mixer (Soundcraft EFX 8) - looks like that's a good routing (send each channel's input to AUX1 & connect that "summed" signal to your DP input).
EDIT: AND it has "Monitor Out" (though it's stereo) and "Mono Out" - I suspect wither of those would also do fine, depending on whether you prefer a mono or stereo signal to send to your DP.
I noticed the "Mono Out" doesn't have a dedicated level adjust, so it may be better to use the AUX1 Send option - you can set the level of EACH channel's output to the DP. I'm assuming you'd want to be able to gain-stage/set the level of the signal going to your DP separately from the Main Out's going to the PA.

Also noticed: it appears that there's a button to route AUX1 thru internal FX…but of course it will be to ALL signals going to AUX1, not individually...if you wanted different FX levels on different mic's (of course you can only select one internal FX at a time...) - perhaps you can use the FX send (the purple knob) of each channel to apply FX as you wish to each mic; then sending each channel to AUX1 will blend them all to a single output (the AUX1 send) or out the stereo or mono mains out).
Anyway - happy routing!

Gotta go. I've already spent all morning trying to figure out which way the pointy end of the git'r goes...:p

Last edited:
Thanks shredd. That was very helpful

New threads

Members online

No members online now.