Separating the M12 and the M16/24 forums

salty james

Gear owned
DM4800
I mean the M12 is so much different than the M16 M24.

They share naming, so it's logical to group them together. Now, whether Tascam erred in naming them the same when one is digital and two are analogue is another issue altogether lol :D

Also, to separate them might mean one or the other will generate little or no traffic and would be a dead sub-forum? Just speculating here.

Not going to happen, sorry. The search functions works very well.

Reactions: Mark Richards
I see the point of the TO. They look fairly the same, but M12 is a digital mixer and digital MTR, as well as a DAW front-end. Opposite to this the M16 and M24 are analog mixer, digital MTR and offer nothing about DAW integration.
But I see also the point to keep those together, as there are many user experience discussions (outside the digital/analog topic) which fits for both.
Maybe the sticky "read this first" entry could emphasize this important usage and handling difference?

If new users would really read through the sticky entries at all... :rolleyes:

I agree with mj; all three are basically mixers/MTRs with very similar features/functions designed to interact with a D.A.W.; but TASCAM does describe the Model 12 in a slightly different way in the OM:
Thank you very much for purchasing the TASCAM Model 24 Multitrack Live Recording Console.

Thank you very much for purchasing the TASCAM Model 16 Multitrack Live Recording Console.

Thank you very much for purchasing the TASCAM Model 12 Multitrack Recording Console.

Your suggestion may be a good idea, though, dctdct. There's already an overview of the 12 v 16/24 in the "Basic Facts" sticky, so all that would be needed is a link in the "Read First" sticky. I'll DM the moderators and offer to make the update if they agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: dctdct
Thank you!
No doubt, splitting these two forums up will make dialog and community a lot more sensible fast and coherent.
By the way.. my story: I ran a DM3200 for 3 years, then a DM4800 for years, then did 2 DM4800 synced up for many years. It was a crazy cool system, did a lot on it! Then upgraded to an API 2448, 32 channel. Which i had for a little over a year, then when covid hit I sold it, moved out of the city (like everyone else) and bought a farm with the money, haha. Now I'm back to Tascam!
For any interested, the API was not dollar to dollar that much better. The sound is in the hands and the instrument (and room) mostly, gear is a big second. I always like to give this example regarding drums:
When recording drums the following is 80% of the sound:
Player
Room
Mic Placement
Input EQ
The following is 20% or less:
Preamp used
Mics used
mixer
converters

This is a really great forum, so many nice people. It was the biggest reason i kept my DM machines even though I always wanted to get a bigger 'better' console.

Salty

The Digital Portastudio forum has 1,471 topics with 10,299 posts. That forum is for the 2488 (however many versions of that device there are, I do not know), the DP-24/SD and the DP-32/SD. Without considering the other versions of 2488 models, that forum covers at least 5 different device models.

The Model 24/16/12 forum has 527 topics and 3761 posts and covers 3 device models.

It does not seem sensible to separate the Model 12 as there are not that many overall topics in the forum and the Search function works very well. And, let's face facts - nearly all new users sign up and post a problem right away and don't really look to see if there is a solution. So if they are not reading the forum anyway, it makes no sense to me to invest the time/energy to move all of those topics into a separate forum just for the Model 12. It would have at most, a few hundred topics if that.

One problem with forum management is that you can make things too granular, where users have to jump across forums when browsing similar information. Not to mention that the more forums there are, the more confusion there will be with regard to where to post something. Not that people are doing anything wrong but it may be unclear where to post about an issue that may concern multiple models. While the Model 12 is digital and the only device that can act as a DAW controller, it is my view that it's not sufficiently different (or, frankly important) enough from the other devices in the Model series to warrant it's own forum.

I however, am not the one to make that decision. Anyone may DM the forum administrator and make such a request. If he agrees then the moderators will implement his decision.

@dctdct's suggestion of modifying the "Read Me First" post is a good one and easily doable. @Mark Richards has volunteered to make the necessary modification to that post. This can be done immediately. It would take considerable time but more work could be done on the Index to make it easier to browse for topics.

Reactions: Stew71
If there were 10 new topics each day then maybe it would be a good idea, but no sub forum has that many new topics so it isn't an issue.

Reactions: Stew71 and -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.