SOLVED: Portastudio MF-P01 repair

Screechowl

Gear owned
portastudio mf-p01, 414
Hello,
when I plug into the mic/line input, the recording level lights flash on briefly, then go out. There are no lights when I try to record sound. The lights sometime flash when I move the mic/line slider. No sound is recorded.

Any ideas?

I do have basic soldering skills and would love to get this machine working again. I really miss using it.

Thanks in advance!

Can you take it apart to look at the solder joints? Could be a broken connection in there that needs solering.

Reactions: -mjk-
Thanks for your response!
I have opened it up and there does not seem to be any obviously broken connections. I guess I need to start checking for continuity.

I looked up this models owners manual and it has a .25% wow and flutter which can tell you what kind of build it has. If spraying the connector with deoxit contact cleaned does not fix it and there are no immediate solder joint breaks, I am not sure you want to put money into a device like this as it might be considered throw away. What do they cost new?

Thanks! I'll try the contact cleaner.

These units still go for between $100-$200+ on eBay and Reverb, so if all I invest is cleaner or some soldering, I'll give it ago.

SOLVED

Replacing the C105, C205, C305, and the C405 capacitors on the lower PCB did the trick!

Glad to have it working again.

New threads

Members online