Soundboard/PA System to Portastudio

Ken Bolk

Gear owned
None yet
I've been searching around the internet with no luck to this question. Is there a way that I can hook up a portastudio to a soundboard/PA system and be able to record different the tracks? For example, a local band Awesome Distraction is letting me tape some of their shows to practice audio engineering, but the dilemma is how I would be able to record all three members' vocals and their instruments onto different tracks for mixing. Is this possible on any Tascam portastudio? If not is there anything that I'd be able to do this on?

~Thanks ahead of time!

With the DP24 or DP32 portastudio you can record only eight tracks at the same time. To use it in conjunction with an external mixing board, the mixing board must have direct outputs or eight separate sends (fancy name for output). So if vocals were running through track one on the mixer you would need a cable from the direct out of that channel to an input on the portastudio. Repeat the process for each track up to eight total. Let the band jam, get a proper level for each track on the portastudio, then press record. Mix later.

If you need more than eight tracks you would have to get a computer DAW and interface that has more than eight inputs/outputs.

If you didn't use the external mixer, you could still record them by placing a few strategically placed microphones running straight into the portastudio.

Reactions: Ken Bolk
Thanks for the reply! This was exactly what I was looking for. I was hoping to get something cheaper like the DP008 but I guess that won't work with what I want to do.

The DP-008EX will record two tracks at one time, using A and B inputs. Same with the DP-006.

New threads

Members online