SX-1 Tutorial

Jay

Gear owned
SX-1 LE
I Remember the idea being kicked around a few years ago about starting a tutorial for operating the SX-1. I like the idea, but I don't know how practical it would be, then again, who knows? Things like setup, hookups, initial project setups, audio path assignments, routing, mixing, ftp backups, automation, etc. Anyone think this might be useful?

many Xmas seasons ago, I was new to the SX and was proddiing and pleading to get a manual or tutorial...
I even wrote the famous Xmas ditty:
"O Come, O Come the manual"...
a big hit, but it produced no results...
there was talk of a video tutorial (several times) but nothing ever developed...
after 5 or 6 years of having the SX (two of them), I'm still figuring out the routing and how certain functions work...
the old forum was extremely helpful and you could search the threads for almost every question you had...
if there was no answer in the threads, there were 35 or so very active members who could answer all your questions...
even the actual people who designed the SX were on the forum...
by the time I came on in 2006 or so, the SX forum had wound down a bit, but there were still plenty of active users...
so, to answer your question, I don't believe a tutorial will ever be written/made...
but, hang in there, you'll get the hang of it after awhile...
if I could figure most of it out, ANYONE can!!! :D

Personally I think it's a superb idea. I've been trying to record on my Sx1 since I purchased it last year,without success. People here on this forum have been kind enough to give me information regarding the problems I have en-counted,giving examples such as refer to the quick start manual which I did,again without success. So! I think a graphic tutorial,finger pointing demo would be a great idea,especially for someone like me who, up to quite recently was still using tape. Then crossed over to a Boss- br- 1600 recorder...........

are you able to Arm a Track and record or are you saying you haven't had any luck with even that? something may be wrong with the SX if that's the case...tell me what you've been able to do so far and maybe I can help...

Yes! the track is armed as I type this post,My guitar is plugged into line in/bal.etc.Studio source say's stereo. screen say's new A-e 7. the Rec is flashing.Ch1..HDR ch1..new audio take7 record and monitor on coloured purple..Now,ch1 on the fader bank is showing SEL, PS,From a previous recording,I imagine take 6,the rec appears to be successful,theirs an audio line on ch1`,but I can't hear the event..hope you can help..john

I'm a little confused...is there already something recorded on the track that you're using? when you say the fader bank is showing SEL...I'm not sure I understand...if there's something recorded on the track that's armed, depress the headphone icon next to the REC button to hear it...if that doesn't work, go to the Mixer page and click on L/R of the channel that has the recorded material...

I'm confused myself.I set up another take.To be precise it's take nine. The LCD indicates CH1 hdr, ch1. New Audio Take 9.pressed the record button, and it's flashing on the Lcd. Guitar plugged to Line in.Getting a show on the information display.Hit the large red record button ,and nothing happens..........PS..Personally Wolf, I suspect their is something wrong with the machine.And to add insult to injury,I don't think their is anybody in my area of the UK who has actual access to one,let alone a repair man who's ofay with this particular unit. But I'll carry on regardless. PPS.It' a shame there is not a return to factory settings on the unit,it would have solved a multitude of problems,for me,anyway....If I may,I would like to keep in touch with you,in case I get lucky and get the machine up and running.Kind Regards John

hey John...no problem...I was in the same boat you're in awhile ago...
first thing is that you should press the Record button on the Channel strip (above Faders), then you have to press Play and Record simultaneously if you're using the physical buttons...I almost always use the "virtual" buttons on the Track screen to Arm a track and record using my VGA monitor...I barely ever use the LCD except for the handful of functions it performs that aren't available on the VGA...if you have a monitor and keyboard hooked up to the SX, you can reset the BIOS and then :"set to default"...I'm not certain how to do it using the internal LCD screen...
but I'm pretty sure that's not the issue...
I would open a new project and start again by loading Ch 1 > Ch 17...make sure there's a signal present...on the SX's slanted front panel, under Fader Banks, press 17-32...Arm the Track by hitting the Record button (Ch17 e.g.) on the physical Channel strip, then hit Play/Record...hit Stop, Rewind and Play and you should hear what you just recorded...no other Routing is needed to do a basic recording using Ch1>Ch17...
when I got my first SX, I was very confused and when I added a second one, I was DOUBLY confused! I was the last person anyone would come to for help awhile back...in fact, I asked some of the stupidest questions EVER!!! but the SX members were very helpful and VERY patient with me...after a ton of advice and a huge amount of trial and error (and time), I finally understood...now, I can use all of the SX's enormous capabilities with no real stumbling blocks...there are also times when you have to "go under the hood" to solve some problems...but first things first...I have to admit that the learning curve was steep and I never worked at a recording studio, so had no hands-on experience...I had the most difficulty with routing and effects...
there's a ton of useful information on the "old forum":
tascamforums.co
there's everything from the simplest routing and using effects, trouble-shooting and other issues, to very advanced/technical information...I log on whenever I need help with something or to refresh my memory...almost all of the old SX owners are gone, but the valuable information remains...
anyway, let me know if you get it going...I'll be happy to help you in any way I can...once I asked for help and received it, now, it's my turn to give back...
Wolf

Success Wolf,those co-ordinances were spot on.I actually recorded something.I still don't quite understand why pressing 17-32 was instrumental in achieving a result?.By the way,it was a guitar I recorded.....I tried recording a keyboard, but it didn't happen.Is that classed as a midi recording?. I hope I'm not boring you too much. I set up the monitor and mouse,unfortunately the pointer of the mouse is frozen in the centre of the screen,tried numerous things.Any ideas on this problem?. Regards John.

congratulations!
I have 2 SX'es synced and they share a mouse, keyboard and monitor (that I have a switch to go from one to the other)...the mouse is always frozen on the slave machine and I have to shut it off and then back on...that always fixes the problem...maybe someone else knows how to fix it another way, but that works for me...
is your keyboard plugged in to the Inputs on top of the SX or is it a midi keyboard? if you use the 1/4" Inputs, it works like any other instrument when you're recording...

wolf said:
congratulations!
I have 2 SX'es synced and they share a mouse, keyboard and monitor (that I have a switch to go from one to the other)...the mouse is always frozen on the slave machine and I have to shut it off and then back on...that always fixes the problem...maybe someone else knows how to fix it another way, but that works for me...
is your keyboard plugged in to the Inputs on top of the SX or is it a midi keyboard? if you use the 1/4" Inputs, it works like any other instrument when you're recording...
Thanks again for your advice,it's very much appreciated.As for the keyboard it's just a common a garden 88 key Korg stage piano,1/4 inch jack.........Thanks again.

then, just enable and Arm a Track the same way you did the guitar and you're set...no need to get into midi...

wolf said:
congratulations!
When you say shut it off and then back on......do you mean shut down the actual SX it's self, or just the monitor?.PS.The tiny hand is frozen in the centre of the screen.(Cue for a song their) even when the mouse is removed from the back of the unit.

sorry...I meant shut the SX off (using the shut down button on the slanted panel)...

New threads

Members online

No members online now.