Tascam 234 transport problem

David Lister

Gear owned
Tascam 234
Hi all,

I'm new here so I hope this is the place to post this! I have a Tascam 234 4 track cassette recorder which I haven't used for quite a while. Got back into using it over Christmas but discovered that the take up spool wouldn't always function properly. The tape was going through the capstan but not being taken up, so the transport would shut off.

I did use the machine about a year ago (after a long retirement) and, at that time, discovered that the capstan drive belt had perished. I replaced both belts then, and the transport was working fine.

This time around I looked at the rubber tyres that drive the spools. There looked pretty dirty so thought a clean might help. To get to them I had to remove the transport (which I'm getting quite good at!). I cleaned the tyres, and this helped the take up problem. HOWEVER, now the fast forward function doesn't work! It was fine before I removed the transport. Everything else functions perfectly - but it won't fast forward.

I can't see what I have done or what might have failed to cause this. Any ideas anyone? The machine is useable and I really like it - I really prefer the quality of the sound I get from recording on tape - but it would be good to get it back to full working order if possible.

Dave

Hi Dave,
I don't know how cleaning some Idler tires could cause it to not work but maybe there is more to it than that. I still fix these in the Chicago area and Russ does in the New Jersey area.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.