Tascam 302 issue, please help!

JerryJerson

Gear owned
Tascam 302, Tascam Porta
Hey,

my Tascam 302 is producing this weird sound from inside of the device after 1-3 minute of playing any cassette. It comes from both decks. Music from cassette is not affected, recording also works. Do you have any idea how can I fix it?

Here is the recording of the issue:

I opened the deck and I was trying to identify the problem. Mistakenly I removed one belt but I managed to install it back. This made situation that this deck was "silent" for 1 day. Is the issue calling for replacing all belts with new ones?

Thank you for your help!

All the best,
JJ

Last edited:
It is difficult to say what that is but I would say new belts and Lubrication with AMSoil in the capstan bearings will resolve most common issues. It could be a bearing needing oil on the capstan system or the motor itself. These were not well built items and as far as I can see they were not repairable- I still have one here from a Radio Station that closed down.

Reactions: JerryJerson
Thx. I will try with lubrication. Things inside seems very complicated but it is worth to try.

You really meed to determine where the noise is coming from. Does it only do so when the capstan motor turns? I have some new mechanisms here sold by Tascam but being made in China at different runs they are different. That is why when you buy stuff like this you have to know it is considered throw away as most dual cassette decks are because the parts when you could get them are not even the right ones that they sell you. This is part of when Tascam went down hill as selling Chinese junk was never as good idea at any time. That is what they sell mostly today in the digital stuff and so-called tape machines.

Reactions: JerryJerson
Thx for your answer.

This is old Tascam 302 (not a MK2). Whole mechanism looks solid. I think you are right that it comes from the capstan bearings as when I turn on the deck the capstans are rolling for some milliseconds and then this "high pitched noise" is also audible.

I ordered the "glide bearing oil" (ISOFLEX PDP65) and will try to give it to the capstan, first maybe outside as explained here:

and here:

I downloaded the service manual but disassembling whole deck seems to be very challenging. Maybe there is a option to add oil without doing it... I will see. I will post status of the progress.

Another two videos showing you some care but the wrong care. The PDP oil is extremely expensive but you can use it on a $.50 motor if you want to. The deck I work on have these cheap motors too and I use AMSoil Signature series 0W30 and have had nothing but good results every time. This is exactly why I oil these motors top bearing as I know that cheap or the wrong oil has been applied if any at all. AMSoil doe snot cost like the PDPO65 oil but it is your money to waste- the coast of a quart of 0W30 AMSoil was seen at $13.00 as it is synthetic. I have seen good results from it in all kinds of equipment including my furnace induction motor which bought me 6 month operation before I changed the part- little did I know I was oiling a ball bearing in it but it did work after that correctly and in fact I still have the old one for backup.

A person who calls a Tascam 302 a solid mechanism has not really seen a good one or he would never say that- I call them Chinese toilet paper transports- when they fail you through them out.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.