Tascam 424 question: constant hum

Michelle

Gear owned
Tascam 424; Tascam DR-40
Hi everyone - my question will most likely sound very noobish, apologies in advance!
I just got a Tascam 424 from ebay, and as I switch it on it produces a constant hum, independently from any other operations I do with it. It sounds basically as the noise of a small motor, and it seems associated with a little pivot within the cassette deck (close to the lower right corner - see photo below) that constantly spins, even when the cassette is not recording or playing back. The buzz changes pitch as I move the pitch control.

Is this normal or it's the indication that something is not working fine?

Many thanks for your help,

Michelle

IMG_20170115_214334.jpg

People of local shops think they can work on these and they do fix them some of the way but they are NOT detail oriented and leave ground wires off or fail to examine the motherboard for broken solder joints and joint connections. Then they charge the guy and give it back like this- well that is not how Teac worked and the problems- all of them would have to be resolved before itt went out the door. This is the same thinking I use as I was one of the Teac guts at the Arlington Heights location. The capstan shaft on some models turns all the time and this is done to keep from having the start up time when you first hit play speed wise. Other decks are turned on by the upper right microswitch known as the cassette in switch. This way a deck will only turn on the motor when a tape is in the deck. These motors do not last forever and so if you are not using the deck it is best to turn it off.
After all these years the filter caps in the supply might need to be replaced. This is a possibility but not a known failure.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.