Tascam 48 Schematics anyone?

Haackula

Gear owned
Tascam 48
Hi,

I just purchased a Tascam 48 and unfortunately it did not come with a Service Manual or Schematics. So servicing is gonna be quite tough. Does anybody know were I might get a PDF?

Also I have trouble with getting a foot switch to work with it for Punch IN/OUT. Anybody knows what kind of switch I would need? I do want to build one myself. Or find a substitute for the recommended RC-30P Footswitch.

Thanks

I arranged for the manual to be reproduced at Stereomanuals.com but they are not Pdf nor free. I service these all the time and have three of them in shop here in the Chicago area. I just returned one to the client yesterday.
Tell Rick I sent you-
http://www.stereomanuals.com/man/rep/tascam/index.htm

Well it seems my only option is gonna be to buy the Manual.

About the issue with the Footswitch, I did try different ways to get it to work with a couple of different footswitches, momentary and non momentary. But nothing happens... I also connected a 1/4 mono jack and measured the pins, there is a Voltage coming out of about 6 Volts. My guess is there might be an issue with a relay which is stuck. But I am not very confident in opening up the machine since I am not too much of an expert.

If a person is going to own such a machine it is wise to get a hold of the manual as soon as possible before they are all gone or you can not get them. The foot switch operates a flip flop circuit if I remember correctly but then there are jacks that all kinds of fools plug in anything they want into these jack and blow out circuits. Some 1/4" speaker cables with plus and minus 45V voltages could be plugged in my mistake or other reasons and then fry the circuits in the deck.
I recently serviced a 48 that had all XLR output relays contact burnt out- the coils that normally fail were all good but who knows what they plugged into the unit and blew out the muting relays.
Some outfit in New York sold it to him in operational condition but again another E bay sale that had many things wrong with it that their so called Technician checked out. It also only had 20g of back tension so it did not record well.
Yes, get with Stereomanuals and get the manual- they have the best there are and I was the one who supplied the original to him to duplicate. Rick is an honest guy to work with.

I already sent him an email. Thanks for the help.
I guess I will need to take it apart then.
Another thing which occurred last night with the machine was like a quiet rattling noise coming from the capstan motor after I cleaned the capstan with alcohol. It vanished after a couple of minutes though.
Do you know how to to get the capstan motor oiled?

I did have a 52 motor that did not start all the time. This was after I took it apart because the glue they used let the coil come lose from the motor case. This needs immediate attention as if those little wires break due to that vibration sound that might end up with a motor that does not operate. The motor was epoxied and tested with some wires being extended and soldered back into place. With enough time the glue in some parts can fail and then the associated part comes
away from where it should be. Taking the motor out and apart might be the only way to resolve the issue. buying a new motor is the same as buying one not used but sitting around for 30 years.
How is that going to be any better. AMS oil used in sleeve bearing would make for a better solution I would think.

I recently serviced a 48 that had all XLR output relays contact burnt out- the coils that normally fail were all good but who knows what they plugged into the unit and blew out the muting relays.

I could guess that they plugged the outputs of the 48 into XLR mic ins on a mixer but had the phantom power turned on. I bought a MX2424 with an analog card that had the output caps blown in the same way, fortunately the seller described the cap problem and it was priced accordingly I replaced the caps (48 of them)and all worked fine.

Alan.

I guess that anything is possible. I seem to get the most screwed up decks from Universities- places of higher learning? Or is it learning to become and idiot. I think they are turning out a lot of them from what I see these days.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.