Tascam ATR-80

Tapehead7

Gear owned
Tapemachines
Hello world,
is there an old Tascam engineer here in this forum who is familiar with the ATR-80 PSU?
thank you

Maybe Jim as I have never seen one at my shop or in Chicago. We just did not get such thinks in just as large as the MS16.

Reactions: Laszlo
What is the problem with it? I worked at ESPN while doing piece work at Chicago Factory Service shop bought from Teac but I think they closed around 2001. In my time at Teac 1982-1987 we never saw such a unit in the shop and we very few times saw MS16. Remember the time frame as today 30 years later there were unit made after the 90's and when they were new they probably did not have problems then. In the past I would get a fresh original manual and send it Fed Ex to Rick at Stereomanuals.com but Rick died last year so the place is still running but not with the same capabilities. I don't know what will become of it?

Power supply problems most always point to power supply filter caps- put all new ones in and you will most likely have fixed the problem. I had a couple of Radio System Consoles at a station and I told the owner they are due for a recap. He refused- then some time after he called me in a panic saying the boards are blinking- this means intermittent shorts. He order two complete cap kits for the power supply and I put them in. The boards ran well until he sold the place.

These rare items are hard to find and then when you do find them you have to get a person who knows what they are doing to scan them or copy them. A manual that size might have to be made at Kinkos but who knows what it would cost this all the fold outs and large diagrams- I might be $100 when you are done. I sent an E mail to Jim but I will wait to see what he says.

The easy way is to open it up- look for broken solder joints and then take a inventory of the caps inside- all of them. The get to Mouser and order up a set of caps (Electrolytics) and then change them all out- once this is done the unit most likely will work fine. After a lot of years of sitting the caps can not be trusted.

Thanks for your advice. I know that filter caps are often the problem in a psu. I am looking for someone who knows this special machines very well.

@Laszlo: Please let me know if you see / get in contact with the guy you mentioned.
cheers

New threads

Members online

No members online now.