Tascam DM 4800 and Apogee Rosetta 200

@Tonepad That's awesome. Glad you were able to implement part of my suggestion. As subtle as the improved audio is with my Rosetta, it has an overall major impact in regards to accuracy when mixing. Part of my implementation was to capture the Rosetta sound quality in my mixdown with the DA-3000. Are you just using your DAC replacement just for monitoring or are you capturing it in your mix as well and if so, how?

And Happy New Year to you!

Last edited:
I'm just monitoring with the Benchmark. Seems to me I'd need their ADC box to get back into the chain properly. I just mix ITB anyway so I don't have a pressing need to go the ADC route. I just like the detail I hear using the Benchmark DAC.

Hmmm to me the benefit is to capture that improved conversion in the mix.

Yes it would be a benifit if I used a workflow such as yours. I gather you record to the outboard unit (DA-3000). but I think my comment is about improving your now Analog to digital conversion...which I see you can probly do with the Rosetta since it's bi-directional. Are you bypassing the DA-3000 recorder converters by using the AES AD into the unit, and monitoring from the DA out to ?? The Rosetta is clearly more powerful than my more simple Benchmark DAC which I monitor using a Mackie Big Knob in my Studio. I'm interested in your patching of this chain. In the Hollywood Post Sound world I inhabit it's been all in the box for ages and my project/work studio is the same. However your tip was good for even just monitoring, which helps with sound placement, EQ's, compression, my various outboard pres, guitars, amps etc... all the tools one uses in tracking or mixing. It's weird that Apogee never upgraded the Rosetta, it's a cool unit in its possibilities. Just like the DM consoles...truly a Swiss Army knife for audio.

Mix is coming out of the DM (DIN 1 - S/PDIF) into to the Rosetta (S/PDIF) then going Analog Out from the Rosetta to the Analog In on the DA-3000. That would mean mixes recorded on the DA-3000 will be subjected to it's A/D conversion. I am simultaneously monitoring the analog input signal through the DA-3000 and controlling using the Mackie Passive Knob.

Any Idea, how to do the right Routing? Got a Lucid 88192 and want to connect the DM4800 via AES. Have DIN1 Input (Tascam) on AES 1-2 Output (Lucid) and DIN2 Output (Tascam) on AES 1-2 Input (Lucid). My In-Output Ch. before was Ch.25 and26 on Slot1. Changed to DIN2 L and DIN2 R. I followed the Post from Tascman with the Rosetta 200, but now I have no signal coming in and out of the board. It can be only a Routing problem. Cables are Mogami AES.
If I route back to analog, board works. Can somebody help out??

New threads

Members online