Tascam DM 4800 with Pro Tools 10 - Record direct effects on the channel

WIM-P

Gear owned
Tascam DM 4800
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm happy to have found you. Using a language translator, and I apologize for my English.
I am proud owner of a Tascam DM 4800 to use with PT10. Unfortunately, finding a problem, I tried to fix it but all my attempts failed. All the Tascam analog channels are routed in Pro tools correctly and register without any problem. The signal recorded in pro tools is clean, with no effect. I would like to be able to apply the compressors and equalizers on the Tascam and record on pro tools track with the effect ... for example I've recorded a bass line and I applied a compressor, the monitors being monitored feel the compressor, when I go on pro tools and hear the recording made is rather clean, without compression. I would like some advice on how to solve this problem.

how to record a track with pro tools compressor, eq or fx on the Tascam?

I wish I could do this without resorting to aux or buss but directly .... voice on channel one, compressor + eq, and record on pro tools.

Thanks in advance for your patience.
I greet you cordially

Reactions: Darryn
I would like some advice on how to solve this problem.

Welcome.

Actually, it's not a problem to be solved - it's a method to be embraced. The idea is to print uneffected signal to your DAW (PT10), then when the project is finished recording, the efx ('verb/delay/compressors/limiters) on your DM feed into the mix, when you can adjust each effect in the overall blend. The result, then, is mixed down to a PT10 Stereo Track, and/or to another device (hard drive, tape, DAT, etc).

Why is that important? If you print an EQ or compressor to a PT10 track, it becomes part of the signal and CANNOT BE CHANGED! It cannot be removed, but it may certainly be made worse by additional unnecessary signal processing. Then, you can easily end up with a mix that sounds wrong at best, and absolutely terrible at worst.

So - using the 'Input Bypass' method (where the source is plugged directly to the DAW, bypassing the DM's channel strips and efx, the signal is split: one side goes to PTools, the other - to the DM's stereo mix bus so YOU CAN HEAR WHAT EFX SOUND LIKE WITHOUT PRINTING THEM DESTRUCTIVELY TO THE MATERIAL. This way, you can make continuous changes throughout the production process until you're ready to mix it all down.

However, it's quite easy to print efx to the DAW from the DM. You just bus the DM's channel modules DIRectly to the DAW. Then ANYTHING you do - change a fader, add EQ, compression - or insert an effect into the channel ('verb delay) - carries over to the Ptools track where it LIVES FOREVER unless you -RE-Record the original track 'dry.' This is called in the Input Direct method, and it's been described many times here.

Do a 'Search' on the DM3200/4800 Forum (this one) using keywords like: 'INPUT BYPASS"......'Bussing Signal Direct,l' etc etc. If you can't find the instructions, let us know, and we'll point you in the right direction.

CaptDan

Reactions: waterstrum
Good evening CaptDan,
thank you for your courtesy and for helpful tips, she is for many on the forum a real benchmark, thanks sincerely. beyond the real production, where You rightly advised to record a clean channel and act with the compressors and the after effects in the mix, I needed to be able to act directly on the channel only to record in real-time demo session acting on drums and other instruments to have an idea that sounded as good as possible before working on the arrangements and the actual recordings. I'll try immediately to implement the advice that has kindly given and let you know if everything is solved. I cordially greet the still thanks!

If you are needing to record your input signals post module, (with EQ/GATE/COMP-EXP and fader volume), look into routing DIRECT.

There are three basic routing solutions for each module:

1) INPUT BYPASS: Which bypasses anything that has to do with your module and routes your dry inputs directly out of the board, typically over FW (or ADAT or TDIF etc)
2) DIRECT: Which routes the input signal outbound directly after the input module in use (POST EQ/GATE/COMP-EXP/Fader/Phase)
3) BUSSED: Which routes the input signal outbound via any of the Busses (AUX buss, STEREO Buss, or any of the 16/24 Busses)

To route DIRECT try this...
BTW, only works for CHs 1-32 on the DM3200, and 1-48 on the DM4800...

Take any input Channel...i.e., Ch1.
1) Go to ALT/ROUTING/OUTPUT SLOT Tab (assuming you are using the FW card IN slot 1)
2) Starting on the right use POD4 and select BUSS/DIRECT.
3) In the middle, use POD3 and select which set of channels you are working with. SLOT1 Trk 1-8 is where CH1 is, so I'll select that.
4) On the left, under SLOT1 Trk 1-8 assignments, select spot 1 and move the jog wheel until you see "Buss 1/DIR1" Now press ENTER.
5) Once you have hit the "SEL" button on the input channel you are trying to route, you should now press the "DIRECT" button in the OUTPUT ASSIGN area, left of the display.

Now you should be rockin' POST module.

Holy Ships!
TascMan and Capt'n Dan.
You guys are above and beyond!

I've never actually seen a holy ship. Probably doesn't float very well.

Reactions: captdan
So my method is this:

I rout to buss/direct on my input channels but I select stereo *post fader* instead of direct. This allows my to run hotter on my mic pre, I like to do this, and then roll down the fader if I need more headroom in pt9. My input then goes to the assigned buss which takes it to protools. The method also allows me to eq and compress on the way in to PT9.
Anything I record is routed to pt9 via this method and returned from protools to channel 1-2 which is muted during recording and unmuted during playback via a free plugin called automute. This allows me to monitor the direct input of what is being recorded before it goes to protools and still have seamless monitoring of playback for punching.

I do this because I enjoy eqing on the way in and have not worries about printing it. It speeds up the process for clients.
Just my method, there are many. That's the great thing about the dm4800.

I would also like to thank captain again for his help solving my internal automation problem. My life, as far as mixing, has changed for the better. I shan't go back to daw automation again.

Reactions: jamsire and captdan
firstly let me explain where am at. i am recording with my Dm3200 with the firewire card into protools 10 on my Mac Pro, and this is all working fine and i have set up the input bypass method so i can here on my main stereo out the effects Eq and Comp, and this is not going onto protools so everything is clean. Im trying to do two things: Firstly i want to be able to record the Eq and Effects straight onto protools 10 (Direct method) But am having difficulty understand Tascman steps.
In my routing stage i have channels 1-16 set as M/L (so i can plug into my Pres) i have my acoustic guitar mic'd up/plugged into channels 1/2 & 3/4 pres.
Then i have channels 17-32 set as slot 1 - 1 through to slot 1-16...

The second thing i want to do is after recording something from my input bypass method i want to be able mix the Eq and effects into the protools track that has already been recorded clean. I dont want to use the terrible protools standard plugins and would rather use the DM's effects and EQ post the recording...

Any help please would be appreciated greatly.

i want to be able mix the Eq and effects into the protools track that has already been recorded

i want to be able to record the Eq and Effects straight onto protools 10 (Direct method)

Sorry, but those statements seem contradictory.

If you want to print efx onto your PTools track, go to the OUTPUT SLOT in your Routing Screen. Instead of choosing the "M/L"# (mic/line input), select the BUSS/DIRect appropriate to that output. In other words, if you want to send Channel #3's signal to Ptools Track, it would look like: "BUSS3/Dir3" in Output SLOT's third slot number. Then, you'd pick the same numbered INPUT to route your signal to PTools (IFFW/Output3) you'd choose using INPUT BYPASS.

As for adding DM efx/eq/etc to your PTools file, that's done mixing OUT OF THE BOX - ie - sending all channels to the DM where you mix stuff together and send the results out the DM's STEREO BUS to be printed into a PTools STEREO TRACK and/or to another device.

CaptDan

I am lost in the steps above. I have setup to hear back the effects through the Aux method. so thats working fine. I am still lost with being able to print the effects onto Protools i have tirelessly looked for instructions without really understanding. I lack the knowledge necessary to understand the concepts as a whole, however i may need some step by step processes and then once its working i can try and figure out what is actually going on. yes routing zen, and everything else doesnt seem to be shedding any light onto this... As far as i understand now i need to use the direct method, i have my protools dry signal playing back on channels 21 22 on the dm slot 1- 5 and 1 -6 in the input routing section. and i use the auxes to hear the effects and can here them fine through my headphones, aux 5/6 and 7/8 when i bring those up the effects comes through.

NOW, (for the love of god) how do i send it back to protools to record what i am hearing?? i need some step by step instructions, i am more than willing to give you all the information on my routing setup if it is needed. thank you to any in advance.

Hello @Darryn Did you ever manage to figure this out? Have a good one. Peter

Awesome. You wouldn't by any chance still have that video kicking around, would you? Thank you

Last edited:
The video is very large, so if you have a email and dropbox sorted i can send you the link. :)

@Darryn Thank you so much for the reply. Should I create / share a Dropbox folder with you.

New threads

Members online