Tascam DP 24 SD Master Comp

Click on the button “time line”, then click on the left cursor button until we see the entire length of the song. Take a picture of that.

Can anyone tell me why the OP is seeing those two green dots on the timeline before the “out” red dot at the six minute mark? I’m talking the one below “A” in “BAR”, and the one before the first "0" in 00:00:00. (Edit: I found out why. He hit “mark set” without hitting the “locate in” or “locate out” button at the same time. This adds additional marks to the song, but those additional marks do not stop the mixdown process).

Also, for the OP (original poster): Please post another video. Post the video of you doing the following:
  • Mix down the song, all six minutes of it.
  • Once you mix down the song, go in to the mixdown/mastering screen.
  • Add EQ and compression. Play the song again, all six minutes of it, to apply these changes.
  • Hit mixdown/mastering again to leave the mixdown/mastering screen.
The original poster insists there is not pilot error, yet I have yet to see proof that there is a problem with the DP Portastudio.

Last edited:
Hi
Sam Please for the very last time The in and out points have been set.
1 I am not lying .
2 I have repeated the fault 5 times on 5 different cards.
I have used the machine for more than a year with good results but all of a sudden
I dont know the most basic of opps on the machine and then have repeated the mistake 5 times .Maybe its a medical issue.

{yet I have yet to see proof that there is a problem with the DP Portastudio}

When did a thread asking for help turn in to some kind of trial ..Proof..?

The 2 pictures clearly show 6 mins 35 s .You asked me for the pictures as proof and i provided them ,yet now you want another Vid .....why ask for pictures when you new you would not accept them anyway ........clealy says 6 mins 35 s on the pics .have another look maybe you missed that bit.

Im hoping its a sd card issue and not hard ware
I have phoned Tascam tec support but they were busy but have asked for a call back tomorrow.

It seems that the consensus on this thread is Im incompetent or a fool.
Hopfully tascam tec support will not

Reactions: -mjk- and Arjan P
Tyros, we think no such thing. FWIW, TASCAM support will want the same info we're asking you for and will likely walk you through all the same steps.

It's important that things get broken down into detailed steps and that no assumptions are made. That's how trouble shooting is done, one small step at a time. there's a lot of interactive circuitry involved and it's important to isolate them one at a time.

Now that we have the picture of the Mixdown screen we go to the next steps, using the same tracks on the same card that you loaded to show the screen shot, and confirming the card used is one of the approved SD cards. Then:

1. In Mixdown mode, press the Record button and create a new stereo master wav file. (This will overwrite any prior stereo master wav file that may have been corrupted.)

2. Enter Master mode, without doing anything else. Does the song still show the 06:35 as Total Time?

2. If the song still shows the correct Total Time, press the Play button.

3. Does the song play all the way through with no hiccups?

4. Rewind the song, and open up the Compressor screen. Do not turn on compression.

5. Repeat playing the song all the way through with the Compressor screen open.

6. If the song played with no hiccups, rewind.

7. With the Compression screen still open, select and turn on a default multi-compression, and Play the song all the way through.

8. If there are no hiccups, and the song plays all the way through, rewind.

9. Press the Record button and let the song play all the way through to create your Final Stereo Master wav file.

10. If the song did not play all the way through (e.g. gets chopped at 30 sec) press the Re-Do button.

11. Using the original stereo master called up with Re-Do, does the song play all the way through, as it did instep 8?

If you get all the way to step 9 and the problem occurs at step 9, and Re-Do brings the full song back (i.e. you can repeat step 8), the cause could be in the Master Recorder circuitry (it would be best described as "terminating the recording" - rather than "locking up" the unit); and that's for TASCAM to opine on at that point.

I would be very, very, very, very surprised if it was the fault of the SD card itself - file errors and completely unresponsive units (must pull the power cord to restart) are traceable to SD cards; unexplained termination of recording so far hasn't been associated with an SD card; and you're experiencing it with multiple cards and different FW versions.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of, based on the limited information we have, is that maybe a set mark is causing issues. So, let’s delete all of the marks:

• Go in to song (not mix) mode
  • Tap the stop and the “rewind” buttons at the same time to get to the beginning of the song.
  • Tap the “fast forward” button; this will jump you to the next set mark.
  • Hit “mark set” to remove the mark (mark set is a big confusing. If you’re on a mark, it removes the mark. If you are not on a mark, it adds a mark).
  • Tap “fast forward” followed by “mark set” as many time as needed to remove all marks from the song.
  • At the end of the song hit both “mark set” and “locate out” at the same time to mark the end of the song
  • Hit “stop” and “rewind” at the same time to go back to the top (beginning) of the song.
  • Hit “mark set” and “locate in” at the same time to mark the beginning of the song.
I don’t think the additional marks are causing the issues, but I did see them in the OP’s song, so it may be prudent to remove all of them to see if that resolves things.

The reason why I’m asking for another video is because we plain simply do not have enough information to resolve the issue. If the unit is stopping on its own when making the mixdown file or when re-mastering the mixdown file, we may be able to see if there is any error message or other indication of what is going on.

Reactions: -mjk-
Hi
I will see what tascam have to say tomorrow.

Thanks to all for your help.

Tyros.

Hi
Tec support have asked for the machine to be returned .
As it is out of waranty I wont be doing that.
I have One more sd card to try ....
Thanks for all your help .

Tyros.

Tyros, I'm gonna take one more stab at this problem. Because your video shows a 30 second Mixdown file with a 00:00 Out point, but at a later time your photo shows a properly set Out point (and obviously you didn't set it to 00:00 and then change it back later), my conclusion is that the dp24.sys file is out of sync. Without speculating on the number of ways this could happen, this problem will, unfortunately, propagate to any other card you copy the song folder to, thus making all your SD cards appear to be bad.

This theory is the only one that seems to support all the facts.

My .sys file got out of sync, and it caused problems I attributed to the machine and/or SD card.

The solution is simple, however. In order to eliminate any possibility of further propagation, I would do the following (and you said it was only a few tracks, so it should go quickly). I would also start with a freshly formatted SD card with the song folder copied via the DP-24 USB function. Remember, that folder will have the problem. The following steps will eliminate it:
  1. Export all tracks to the Audio Depot.
  2. Reset the machine (with a template, preferably).
  3. Create a new song with the same settings.
  4. Import the tracks from the Audio Depot.
  5. Do a new Mixdown.
  6. Master the Mixdown file.
  7. Perform all of the above 6 steps without connecting to the computer, or removing/changing SD cards during the process.
That will put everything back in order. If you experience further issues, I would suspect the machine.

Hi
Thankyou.

{ My .sys file got out of sync, and it caused problems I attributed to the machine and/or SD card.}

Wish you had said this in the first place , It looks like that could well be the problem
I am sure this has something to do with DUD sd cards . I wish tascam would investigate the sd card issues that KEEP cropping up on this forum at least. sd cards seem to be the Weak Point on these other wise Cool machines.

WhenI have the time ,Im working now .later today I will Try This...

5. Do a new Mixdown.
  7. Perform all of the above 6 steps without connecting to the computer, or removing/changing SD cards during the process.
I have another sd card from another source supossed to be 100 percent genuine
Whatever that means these days.
I will follow the steps and let you know how that all goes .

Do you have any more info on how it goes out of sync because this could account
for more than just the issue I have, This might be the reason the sd cards fail so often.
This out of sync issue needs more investgation.these machines must be reliable.
And if it Boils down to just a software Patch from tascam................

Thankyou for your help will let you know later when I have checked this out . I am now Hopefull,At least I have some thing to try.

Thanks again
Tyros

Tyros, I came to the conclusion only after analyzing the conflicting information, and that seems to be the only explanation. It may turn out not to be the case, but.... it's too easy to not try the fix. Mine got out of sync because of making file transfers and changing file names outside of the machine.

Reactions: David Porter
Hopefully the OP will be able to resolve their issue by doing an Audio Depot export, followed by an Audio Depot import in to a new song. I think it’s a general good piece of advice: If a song you have been working on for a while starts acting weird (pops and clicks, can not mixdown or master song, etc.), do an audio deport export of all tracks, followed by an import of the same tracks in to a new song.

Sam, I couldn't agree more! That is a sure way to fix a myrid of issues!

Hi
Well I spent the most amount of time I have ever done on just one thing.
3 sd cards to try ,So here we go.

First card bought from scan conputors
Full format

5. Do a new Mixdown.
At the Master Comp stage the track or card or machine ,whatever .it failed
and made a master only 42 s long
Ok lets try the same with the second card from scan computors

Ditto Ditto ECT ECT Yadda Yadda
And the second card Faild on the Mastering screen as well
Ok lets try the card I got Of Ebay from a shop I have bought sd cards to use in the PC
These I have had no problem with so took a gamble and ordered a tascam approved .

Full format
Then
Do this

5. Do a new Mixdown.
  8. This card has not failed so far
  9. I have now made at least 10 master tracks no problem
  10. I think the scan computor cards are duds
  11. and am sending them back today.so i will ignore those results.
  12. I put the first card that seemed to start All this........
Full format
Followed By

5. Do a new Mixdown.
Guess What............ It now Works.
This has Been a very strange experience .
I hope this has now solved the problem
I would like to thank eveyone for your Kind help
I am not a great typist so my discription of the issue
may not have been as well defined as it could have been....sorry for that.

Wish I new more about Code..this Sync issue needs more investigating
It is clearly a problem and without this forum to refer to I would be bricking the tascam about now.
Thankyou guys your the Best

Tyros

Wow Tyros, it seems you had a bad card and that was the beginning of your headaches. Fortunately, you have (if I read correctly) 2 working cards now. That export/import cleared up any error propagation issues.

Have fun recording!

...The solution is simple, however. In order to eliminate any possibility of further propagation, I would do the following (and you said it was only a few tracks, so it should go quickly). I would also start with a freshly formatted SD card with the song folder copied via the DP-24 USB function. Remember, that folder will have the problem. The following steps will eliminate it:
  1. ...
That will put everything back in order. If you experience further issues, I would suspect the machine.

Great call, mj!

Reactions: -mjk-
I publicly credit you for that Mark. My files got out of whack, and it was you who explained the relationship with those files to the project. I just connected the dots this time. :idea:

Reactions: Mark Richards

New threads

Members online

No members online now.