Tascam DR-40x : Clip-on Mic Suggestions

SadOldGoth

Gear owned
Tascam DR-40X
Hi,

I'm completely new to this, um, technical field(?) and am seeking some advice. I've just purchased the above piece of kit and with the internal mic there are no problems. I also purchased an external clip-on mic, the MOSOTECH Lavalier Lapel Microphone with Omni-Directional Condenser Mini Hands-Free Clip Microphone, and can't get it to work on the Tascam at all, regardless of the settings I choose (all combos of line/mic/mic + Phantom, and both external Recording Modes - and yes, I've made sure the input level is raised).

I've used the mic on an ipad and it's fine, and I've connected to the Tascam with a 3.5mm adaptor that I know works, but still no joy.

So, I have to assume that the mic itself is not compatible.

I'm keen to have a clip on mic as I will be doing external broadcasts filmed from a drone, and don't want to be carrying a mic around (nor having the Tascam peeping out of my pocket).

Can anyone suggest a mic that would be suitable, please? I'd be most grateful. (If you know the mic I've got works with the Tascam and that I've missed something obvious, a slap round the head as you correct me is not a problem :) ) And, as a student, guidance pointed at the cheaper end of the market would be appreciated.

Thanks for any advice.

Jes

I think I might have solved the issue but will need to find out on Monday next week.

The 3.5->6.5 adaptor I was using for the mic I've got is a stereo Jack (2 black bands). I've tried a stereo output from an ipad into two mono 6.5 jacks and that worked absolutely fine. So, I've got a 6.5 mono jack on order.

Let's see how that goes :)

My lav mic has 2 available interconnect cables from the power supply to the audio device. one is TRS and the other is TRRS. I use the TRRS on my mobile phone and TRS on everything else. It sounds like the iPad can deal with a mobile phone style TRRS connection, but the recorder can't (which is normal if that's the case).

Reactions: SadOldGoth
Reactions: SadOldGoth
Hi Tzdvl,

Thanks for the above - and you're absolutely right; the adaptor arrived today and it still doesn't work - boo!

Can you suggest either some specific mic's or appropriate search terms for me to use so I can find the right type? Thanks in advance. (Again, just to say, I'm interested in clip on mics and am on a budget).

Jes

Hi Tzdvl,

Thanks for the above - and you're absolutely right; the adaptor arrived today and it still doesn't work - boo!

Can you suggest either some specific mic's or appropriate search terms for me to use so I can find the right type? Thanks in advance. (Again, just to say, I'm interested in clip on mics and am on a budget).

Jes

I'm sorry to hear that. I did not know about the balanced line issue on that recorder. I've been though the TRS/TRRS issue many times and thought that might be the case. Sorry you spent money unnecessarily because of my input. :(

Hi,

I've been passed the following links as a place to start - any recommendations from within this lot? Are these all suitable? Again, it's about knowing what to specifically look for in the product description.

Sorry I took so long to respond.

You need a microphone with a standard-size xlr connector, and balanced output.

The description should include “balanced output”, a standard-size xlr plug, and will probably require phantom power. Most mics of this type are high quality, intended for “professional” applications, and are fairly expensive.

I haven’t been able to find a really inexpensive one, but this is the type of lavalier mic you need to use with the DR-40X:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1500882-REG/movo_photo_lv8_c_xlr_premium_48v_phantom.html

Notice in the description: "Balanced 3-Pin XLR Output Connector"

Every mic I have found so far that is suitable for use with the DR-40X has been a condenser mic, which is why they are more expensive.
I would not consider buying ANY mic unless the description states the output is balanced.

Last edited:
Not exactly a cheap mic, but a good price for a balanced-output clip-on type.

I like it because for a lav, it looks like the capsule is large.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.