Tascam FW-1884 monitor analog outs

Gear owned
Tascam FW-1884
I am trying to build a retro studio using the control surface/mixer/soundcard.

I am not that well versed with mixers, but i thought i could at least get sound out from the analog inputs.

As first project i would like to use the old Cool edit 2 pro as DAW, because of easy interface.
First off i want to say i use the headphone out as my "monitor?" to amplifier.
Because there is no analog "main" out on the FW-1884 only for respective channel, and the SPDIF which i do not have an amplifier for, so am i correct using headphones as monitor?

I have just set analog 1&2 for play and rec in coolplay 2 so far, and i get sound out and recording.
So now to my problems.

1. No monitor sound out on headphone jack while recording, "right now i just have a guitar hooked up to analog in but get no sound out over headphone jack?", i have tried computer mode and the Mon/Mix mode. I thought it was just press select onchannel and ready to go. But apparently i missing something, it will record though and playup.

2. I guess i should be able to also use 3 &4,5&6,7&8 for output and input "and monitor them over the headphone jack right? So how can i monitor also those over headphone jack after i allow them in cooledit.

3. How to use the firewire -> ADAT channels, i tried both in windows and in cooledit to select ADAT in and out instead of analogue in and out, should not those play also over headphone jack when used with for example softsynths like VSTI, i hear nothing over headphones using those not even analog 3&4,5&6,7&8 just analog 1&2 gives sound out over headphone jacks?
Coud someone please explain the routing process to headphone jacks of both analog out and digital out channels? And of course also analog in for monitoring what one record over headphone jacks.

I can record i can playup over channel 1&2 analogue, the rest is a blackbox.

I have a decent understanding of daws and modern mixer, but this CTRL surface a little bit over my head, i must possibly tell it what to route out to the headphone jack?

But as i said it will play analouge 1&2 out over headphone jack during playup.
I hope someone can get me started with my first TASCAM FW-1884 project.
The Tascam was more advanced then i thought, i wish i knew more about how to route it.

Best regards Jonas Thörnvall

[My Tascam Retro computer]
Perntium 4, 3 Ghz 1500 MB memory "An old wreck Dell Dimension 2400"
OS windows XP service pack 3
PCI Soundcard EMU 1212"my Firewire" and maybe for effects and softsynths over ASIO!
PCI Effectcard UAD-1
Mixer/CTRL sufrface/Soundcard Tacam FW-1884

Last edited:
***INITIAL PROBLEM SOLVED*** You had to push F8 ADAT button to get monitor out on headphonejack, why i have no idea.

I am still not quite sure why select when pushed on channel never stay fixed, it light up for a short moment and then automatically disables. Well main problem solved rest will come/follow i guess.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.