Tascam Model 16 usb sample rate error

Kevin Kirwan

Gear owned
Tascam Model 16
Hi there,

move had the model 16 for 4 months. At first I didn’t experience any issues with it but now when acting as an audio interface the audio stutters, stops and then error message reads in logic error trying to synchronise Audio and midi. Outside of logic it can’t play audio from iTunes or web browser. I have double abs triple checked my sample rate of my Mac, the logic project and original recording they are all identical. I’ve also tried a different usb cable, done at the firmware updates and the problem still persists. Tascam have nor been very helpful abs keep telling me the sample rate is the problem, but I have made sure that they match. I’ve tried it on two different computers and had the same result.
I really hope someone has some suggestions as I’m not sure what to do now. I love using it as a stand alone multitrack recorder, but I also need to use it an interface. I would really prefer not to return it.
Thanks in advance

Just a thought...

You mentioned that you have the same sample rate on both the Model 16, in Logic etc. I don't know about Mac since I use windows... but in windows own audio setup I have to make the same sample rate setup the same way as in my DAW and Model 24. Otherwise I always get the "USB mismatch" error on the screen of Model 24. But as I understand it, you have already checked that one to.

Also... do you use the "OBS-function"... I do not... but as I understand some treads, some people have trouble getting that right.

Quote: "then error message reads in logic error trying to synchronise Audio and midi"

Maybe the fault is about the midi-connection. Using outboard midi gear? Maybe it's their fault?

Also... Model 16 (like my own Model 24 DO have some kind of midi synchronization/time-code feature... (or what it is called... I never used it myself)... but it sounds like... and maybe there is some problems with that "synch/time - code function" between Model 16 and your MAC, DAW etc?

Last edited:
@Freebird i have checked the sample rate on the Mac, on Logic and on the original file in the tascam model 16 they are all the same.
Am I right I thinking with the model 16 you at the sample rate for each project? There is no way to set the over all sample rate if the model 16. Either way all the sample rates are matched as far as I can see.

I have never used the obs function.
Thanks

Well... I believe that on both Model 16 & Model 24 you have to change the sample rate for each individual song/project. But it seems to be some kind of "midi-problem" according to what you wrote about the error message.

Quote: "then error message reads in logic error trying to synchronise Audio and midi"

It seems like there is a mismatch between some kind of "clock" for midi that doesn't align up with the audio. And because of that the sound will "stutter" and not syncing as it should.

Try to disable ALL midi-functions not only on Model 16, but also in Logic and all other places that tries to communicate with midi.

Ok I’ll try that. I have no use for midi right now so never thought to disable it

I know that in windows own audio preferences I can change midi and where and when to use it. Maybe MAC has something similar. It seems to be "system wide" since it is not only occurring with Logic but on Internet as well. Check your audio-player for internet also. And maybe your browsers settings. Also... check if Model 16 has it's internal midi-time function enabled... if so disable it. Hope this helps.:)

Well I don’t want to jinx it but it’s running fine now. I sort of followed your advice but the opposite seemed to work. The tascams midi was set to off already but setting it to Mtc seems to have resolved the issue. Not really sure what’s going on but I’m just glad I can use it without it crashing. Thanks so much

It went again after working fine for a whole day. Very frustrating and confusing. All the settings in the Mac are the same as before. Once I restarted Mac it worked fine again. It would seem settings in Mac are fluctuating after being set. Anyway I’ll keep at it. Love the modem 16 really want it to work and be straight forward.

@Kevin Kirwan I’m having the same issue with the Model 16…. It’s been sometime since April have you found a solution?

My model 16 and Logic Pro X on my Mac are having an audio and midi simple rate mismatch, even though the samples rates on both are set to the same. This emits a popping, crackling, and distorted sound and the computer displays and audio midi sample rate error. Any one know of a solution to this?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.