Tascam Porta One Issue: cassette stuck, motor humming

sensitiverufio

Gear owned
Tascam Porta One
Dear all,

recently I bought a Porta One on ebay. It makes really a good impression, is very clean and except for the FastForward, everything worked quite nicely and I already recorded some bits.

However, suddenly while rewinding the cassette, it suddenly stopped rewinding while leaving the heads engaged and the cassette stuck. The problem remains since then:

When I turn on the machine (it might be of interest, that I run it on batteries since I don't have a adapter) you can hear directly a noise, from what I suppose might be the motor since it changes its pitch when using the pitch control. All the control buttons like RECORD, PLAY, PAUSE, FF, RW, STOP can be pushed but they don't do anything.
See also this video I made so you can see what I mean (on the video the humming noise is scarcely audible, I hope you still get it)

In advance, I am from Berlin, Germany and there is no official TASCAM Service here unfortunately, I opened the Porta One already once to see if there is something clearly visible like a broken belt or something, but that was not the case. Nevertheless I also read a bit here in the forum, and it seems that this doesn't have to mean anything since most problem are likely to be rather invisible?

Well, as you might noticed, I am quite new to analogue tape recorders and I can imagine that a remote diagnosis is fairly difficult, maybe it is a somewhat "typical" problem though and some of you can help me isolate the source of error so I can maybe know eventually if it is fixable or not (without spending a fortune).

Glad for every advice and thanks in advance!
Greetings,
Bastian

Reactions: 186botanical
Switch off the power, open the casing up by taking out the 6 screws on the bottom of the machine open the casing and carefully turn the fly wheel (the largest wheel with a drive belt on it) clockwise then anti clockwise and the tape carriage should click back into place. Then fasten all the screws back into place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 186botanical
Dear Derek,

I didn't expect it to be that easy. That indeed worked and for now everything works as before.
Thank you so much!

Cheers,
Bastian

Glad it worked... can you answer a question for me does your capstan and capstan motor run continually when you switch the power on?

Sorry for the late reply, sure I can check that! I won't be home today but tomorrow I'll have time.

Ok, I should've asked before, but I am not quite sure how to check it.
If I switch on the Tascam, there is no motor noise nor is the capstan moving. However I didn't open it completely. Do I need to do that to see it?

Cheers that answers my question, no you can see the small brass capstan pin turning and hear motor noise as soon as you turn the one I have on. This is apparently normal on a porta two - I just can't find any closed switches that might be causing the problem.

The decks purchased on E bay are rarely in good shape and in working order. You might think they are but they are really hanging by a thread. They need to be serviced and new belts and lubrication put into them. If the capstan is not moving then the belt either fell off or the motor has burned up. There is only one motor in the deck and thus the price.
If you have moved do so and be done with it- it is idiotic to state it over and over again.

Hi skywave,

I actually gave the OP the info he needed to fix his deck. However after posting in several threads on this site and getting no interaction what so ever - discounting this particular thread - I decided this wasn't the place for me and removed all my posts - as I could not just delete them I had to write something.

OK, If people do not get an answer to a problem they just need search out an answer at another place as many of us Teac people do not watch this list everyday. I have over 200 units to repair and I drop by once in a while to see what is going on. People are always free to E mail me directly and many do from all over the world. I help where I can. Some decks are so complicated that providing a single part that is bad is not going to be possible- that is like fixing decks using a magic wand. It does not work- you need to get in and find where the bad part is not just change boards. Good that you were able to help him.

I agree, I found a really helpful guy called Skywave over on the tapeheads forum, gave me some great advice on fixing my own porta one.

This site just didn't seem interested I the old analog stuff so I 'moved' on.

Was happy that the little knowledge I do have managed to help Bastian on my way through.

Cheers
Dez

hey sensitiverufio and Derek Bone - i just wanted to thank both of you for this thread. last night i had the same exact problem with my porta one and the solution discussed above worked perfectly. made an account to show my gratitude. hope youre both well!

Hey Derek, I am here to help you and NOT at Tapeheads anymore due to the way that forum has selected the wrong moderators. I do not even visit there anymore and am more on AK or Phoenix Tape website as well as Home Recording. There is a lot of interest in analog products otherwise I would not have 184 units here to repair. I just fixed a Teac A1230 last night. Funny things is with the right oil and cap replacement this thing does very well. Wow and flutter is .03% at 7.5 IPS,

New threads

Members online