TEAC A3440S - First look inside

Qete

From
Tacoma
Gear owned
424 MKII, Porta-One, 38
Hello,

Wanted to update this forum as I go through an A3440S. Just bought on Mercari.

Took off the back and sides to see what I'm up against. It's a dust hell but seems like the electronics are in good shape. The motor is free and spinning. I don't currently have an AC cable for it so I'm cleaning for now.

Rust is the name of the game. Just need to disassemble further and put some work in.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0tFM8hJ

So I looked at the images you have there- there are plenty of surfaces that would be wire brushed and then sprayed with Rustoleum paint. Side frame pieces you may just have to work with them on the unit as the screws to the front would not be accessible- it depends on how far you want to take this apart- the top frame bar comes off with 4 screws. The capstan shaft looks pretty corroded but you may in this case look for a new one. There are machine shops that can make a new one including ATR Service in PA. The boards probably need a full recap so there is a lot of fun to be had there. The Stainless face can be cleaned off and then Brasso is commonly used to get rid of scratches and other marks. Take Reel tables off head cover and Pinch Roller which needs a rebuild anyway at Terry's. It is clear that this was not stored in a good environment and so this is what is causing you so much work. Wood side panels can be made out of real wood and finished with what stain you would want and either oil or poly coating. If you are doing this level of restoration a new set of brake pads will be in order and a application of Oil like AMS oil for the capstan bearing and all motors. Remember the tubes have decayed foam in them so oil in tubes takes much longer- I put AMSoil right down the motor shaft on capstan motor and get a immediate result. Pinch roller linkage with Lubriplate 105 grease and do not take the pinch roller solenoid lose or you will be buying a digital bike scale to set the pinch roller pressure- you can not mark and return the solenoid to position as some adjustments to this solenoid are almost not perceptible as in 1/64". The boards as you do cap changes have to be unmounted so this would be a good time to spray then with Windex and use a paint brush to work out all the grime. Chase that with Isopropyl alcohol and the board will look like new. I often times when working on decks like this use 18 gauge wire to lengthen the ground wires that chain one board to another. It makes for easier working when the board can be turned to allow a view to the top side when changing caps. Some parts are so close together that cotton swab cleaning of the board under the caps will be easier as paint brush will not be able to get under these parts when they are so close together. As each part is changed and you clean about 1/2" out from each one in the end you wind up with a clean board. I would estimate that at least 15 to 20 hours will go into this machine. it is unclear how good the heads were from those pics. I have not heard if a set of 4 channel Photovox heads have ever been tried in this unit- certainly a lot of money will be involved in that.

Reactions: Qete

New threads

Members online