Trying to listen via the phones but no sound

Mike Frymyer

Gear owned
Model 24
Sorry for my ignorance in advance...

On the Model 24 --- I'm trying to listen to the sound from the Mains via phones, but unless I push in the PFL button on all of the tracks I can't hear anything from the phones. I can hear through the monitors I have connected to the LR Mains via XLR.

I have searched this forum to see if I have a defective unit. I have not seen anyone provide a simple answer of yes or no to the following question: When trying to listen to the output from the Model 24 using the Phones jack do the PFL buttons on each track need to be pushed in?

From the Model 24 OM, page 29:

Connecting headphones
Connect headphones to the PHONES jack (standard stereo). Depending on the PFL switch and AFL switch settings, signals from the MAIN MIX L/R bus and PFL/AFL L/R bus can be monitored. (See block diagram....)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Frymyer
Thank You Mark Richards, those videos were very helpful. Everyone seems to think that regurgitating the User Guide is the answer to everything. Truthfully, unless you're a recording engineer, the User Guide is too generic to make sense to the casual user of the product.

I searched YouTube, the User Guide, and recording forums to find this answer prior to posting my question. Your response was great. Thank You again.

@Mike Frymyer I would like to welcome you to the Tascam Forums. You are most welcome to interact with anyone on the forum, on any topic you wish.

Along with a warm welcome (and I mean that sincerely) there is a polite reminder that most forum members tend to gauge their future interaction with new members, based on the new member's initial response to the help that was given. I suggest that you re-read your first and (so-far) only response to the help offered in light of the above.

I apologize if I inadvertently offended you by "regurgitating" the answer to your question from the Owner's Manual. Your use of that particular word and reference to "everyone" would seem to indicate that this is not the first time you've asked that (or some other question) on other (your words) "recording forums" and got a reply you didn't like - one that required you to consult the manual. The answer is in the manual, and of course all of us do realize that not everyone is a recording engineer as you pointed out. On the other hand, we also don't make assumptions about a person's ability to read and comprehend English or their competency, as that would be very impolite. The Model series are very difficult to understand and we've consulted the block diagram countless times to find an answer to a question that was in the manual, but overlooked. So, naturally the place to begin is with the manual. Most times that puts the OP onto the solution. The Model series forum in particular has numerous examples of such, mainly because the Model series Owner's Manuals are perhaps the worse manuals ever produced by Tascam. But, we are not affiliated with Tascam.

Considering the fact that the Model 24 is complex, this not the first, nor the last issue you are going to have with your Model 24, the forum is administrated by uncompensated volunteer moderators, populated with users that are motivated to help others, and, you did find the answer you were seeking on this forum and not the other forums you have interacted with, you may want to consider editing your reply. That is of course, entirely up to you.

You have my assurance that I will refrain from further regurgitation. I deleted my first reply as upon further reflection I found it inappropriate .

Reactions: dctdct and BazzBass
Everyone seems to think that regurgitating the User Guide is the answer to everything. Truthfully, unless you're a recording engineer, the User Guide is too generic to make sense to the casual user of the product.
welcome, Mike

in case you didn't know, this forum is full of friendly, very knowledgable people with decades of experience and is NOT a Tascam supported forum. The mods and admin do it out of l0ve.

I actually bought my DP32SD mainly on the fact that this forum has the best people,user guides and vids on the planet, so I could rely on knowledgable help .

cheers

Reactions: dctdct

New threads

Members online

No members online now.