Unavoidable " Trap "

Wiiy Kuo

Gear owned
DR-40X
Sometimes love can be a trap you couldn't help but just step into?
Is it inevitable?

>>> https://soundcloud.com/user-54415704/trap

>>>

Verse1:
This is a trap that I tried to escape, it's true ain't nothing worth to miss
Another change you promised you'd make, again and again, what's real and what is fake

Pre-chorus:
A trap doesn't have to be like that, break my heart and have me crashed
I always thought I'm gonna be your man, before you disappeared away
A trap doesn't have to be like that, as I can still recall your name
All around the place, all around the place, I won't be falling

Chorus:
Into this love, it too hard to take, I want freedom, get rid of this trap
Hell no no no, where you go, shut the door and I'll move on
This love, it too hard to take, I want freedom, get rid of this trap
You'll know know, my existence won't be there anymore

Verse2:
This is a trap, I couldn't help but step into, it's you baby, changed my faith
Rewind the play, I might still kiss your lips, again and again, what's real and what is fake

Pre-chorus:
A trap doesn't have to be like that, break my heart and have me crashed
I always thought I'm gonna be your man, before you disappeared away
A trap doesn't have to be like that, as I can still recall your name
All around the place, all around the place, I won't be falling

https://www.willykuomusic.com/original-music

Yo Willy!!! Welcome to the forum.

awesome song, GREAT singing and nice timing on the 2 & 4 hits.

You did this in one take no punch ins? Impressive. what are you using to record? DP24? DR40?

There’s a few bass players lurking here- including me - wonder if you want one of us to attempt at making a you a stem with a nice bass line to go underneath that?

(And Don’t be afraid to decline the offer either … we get it… music creation can be very personal sometimes)

Hi @JSchmo_Bass

Thx for your kind words muchhh =)
And yeah hahah, I recorded guitar and vocal all in one take hahaha, but it took several times... you know what I'm saying haha

That sounds great indeed, but currently I'm looking for a producer or a label can cooperate to my works become full material, you still can do some cover stuff based on my track, that'd be really cool!

Yours Sincerely
Willy Kuo

Yo Willy!!! awesome song, GREAT singing and nice timing too. one take no punch ins?

I’m not the worlds best bass player but kind makes me to take a crack a putting nice laid back bass line under that…

could even go fretless (not me)

Absolutely… and with that song that’s exactly what you should do. Just be smart about it and read the small font “ fine print”. There’s lots of folks here with much experience (far more than !) and good will who can advise.

I’ll try the bass for fun over weekend.

Taiwan labels are lazy. They have a non-compete agreement so they don't have to work hard if one label finds a really great artist. You see, if Label A finds a really great artist, then Label B will have to find one too. So, they just put out cheap-to-produce ear candy. Think about it: haven't you noticed that so much of the Taiwan-produced music in Mandarin sounds exactly the same? When I'm shopping and I hear that stuff, I can always tell my wife what the chord progression will be (and although that's not necessarily bad, they all sound the same!). I've lived in Taiwan for 18 years, but I prefer Thai music, which is incredible. Taiwan Mandarin music bores me to death.

Your talent isn't the issue @Wiiy Kuo. What's happening with your music is that you're falling into the same tempo and same idioms (ironically, this is also a "trap"). I listened to every song on Soundcloud and with the exception of one, they all have that "strum strum SLAP!, strum strum SLAP" thing going on with the guitar. The songs are almost all the same temp. Even with my experience and ears I had a hard time telling the difference between songs in some cases. I could probably do an edit and make them into one long song. That is not good. You need more variety.

Hard Truth: You're not ready for a label yet. You need more development. But you also don't need a label now, or ever. If you have a great song all you need to do is promote it will and distribute it with one of the big distribution services.

You can get most of what you need right here on the Tascam Forums. There are lots of musicians you can work with, producers and engineers who can help you structure, record, mix and master your music. And you'll keep your money instead of giving it to a label.

I just hit you up on LINE.

@-mjk-

Yeah I noticed that haha, so I didn't really contact any record labels in Taiwan, I'm contacting some in U.S and U.K.
And yes I think I'm just comfortable with that kind of rhythm in a song, I'm currently also writing some other stuff still, I had tried used some online distribution platforms, but let's be honest, the performance ain't quite what I expected, but just gotta roll with it haha, some studios here did contact me, said that they'd like to use my songs as some jingles to make profits and stuff, but I rejected haha, I told them I can write other stuff only for the jingles, I can't use my originals for jingles, that would hurt my self-esteem hahahah...

Cool, I'll write you back asap!

Yours Sincerely

Reactions: -mjk-
looking for a label to make you a star? That doesn't happen any more.
Learn your craft, record many many songs til you find that everybody that hears it loves it. Then go promote yourself. Any 'label' will sell you off to the streamers and you will get $0.000007 per stream....that's the harsh reality of today's music business. Everybody makes money except the poor artist. Unless you do it all yourself.

it's a double edged sword.

it is so much easier to produce professional quality recordings in your bedroom, but then so can EVERY other musician on this planet.

So now the hard part isn't finding money to pay for studio time, it's getting your music noticed by people in amongst the millions of other artists trying the same thing. But, if it's good enough, I believe people will find it.

and don't get discouraged if you don't immediately produce hit songs, you are actually trying to master five skills at once. That is, writing good music, playing it well, recording it professionally, then mastering it and finally promoting it.

So, @Wiiy Kuo let me make sure I understand: You released your songs with a distro company but you're not happy with the results (i.e. popularity). But some radio station wants to use your songs in jingles and make money for you. But you say that would hurt your "self esteem."

Btw, when I released my single in 1995, I had to pay $2,500 each, to 3 different record promoters to get my record played on the air. How much did you spend on promoting your music?

This is what I really do not understand about your post: Radio jingles become audio memes and if you happen to be part of a massively popular ad, you could become famous overnight. That very thing happened in Taiwan with an acoustic guitar player. You know who I'm talking about. Everyone in Taiwan knows that guy. He did some ads and now he can do anything he wants. Talk shows, concerts - anything. If people hear part of your song in an ad and like it, they will try to find it, and they will buy it. On the platforms that host your songs that are used in the ads, you can add keywords and playlists to help people find them.

This is why music business education is so important. There is synergy everywhere but you have to know how to tap into it. It's 關係 man, all of it. Use it to your benefit.

Say "yes" to everything!

Then you'll make enough money to buy something to boost your self esteem - like an Aston-Martin.

@-mjk- True dat haha, I'll think about it next time if other studios hit me up for Jingle cases!

It wouldn't hurt to go back and contact those ones that wanted the songs you have now, and tell them that you've reconsidered and that they can use them in jingles. There's no time like the present to get the ball rolling! Seriously, why delay until the next time? Go for it!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.