Unhappy with master compression. Can I undo?

OldPunk

I made a Master w/ multiband compression. I used one of the presets that over emphasized the bass frequencies. I'd like to do it over. Is it possible to perform an 'undo' operation on the Master file, and how would I do that? I'm used to performing UNDO while tracking, it's a great tool.

Is there a thread to refer me to, so I can see the steps to execute?
I've looked at a Master file undo list and saw a Punch In/Out entry. Is that my mastering run? Do I revert to the operation just previous to that?
Also, is it possible to undo Normalization?

As always, thanks for the gracious sharing of info for this rewarding hobby and life's pleasure...

I removed my original reply because the manual indicates that I was mistaken.

Page 57 of the DP-32SD manual indicates that single undo/redo function does work for checking "mastered" files while in mastering mode.

Phil Tipping video tutorial #10 confirms this at the 16:00 minute mark.

I'm not at my machine - but I don't think there is a "procedure" - other than a push of the undo button. Once you've recorded with mastering effects - be sure to turn off the mastering effects (and/or mastering EQ) in order to review what you've just done. If you don't do this you will be reviewing your mastered file with the mastering effects applied again to what you've already mastered.

If you don't like the final product - just push the undo button. That should remove the mastering effects that you've just applied and leave you with your original raw mixdown file. Then make adjustments to fix what you didn't like about the previous pass - and record again.

I'm pretty sure it's that simple. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Last edited:
A couple other thoughts on this:

It is unclear to me whether you can leave mixdown/mastering mode, return to multitrack mode, then go back into mixdown----> and to the mastering screen again - and then be able to undo. I have no idea about that. It'd be good to know. I can't test this until later.

Also.... you can simply "play" your mixdown file with the mastering effects applied - before recording it. Make tweaks until your happy - and then print it. But to leave that mode, review your mastered mix on another playback system and then return and undo? See my above comment.

Of course - you can re-record the mixdown file an unlimited number of times. And save every one if you want.:)

Last edited:
A couple other thoughts on this:

Of course - you can re-record the mixdown file an unlimited number of times. And save every one if you want.:)

Is there a way to name the mastered song so you can mixdown again and master another version? Unless I'm doing something daft (quite likely!) I find have to download the mastered file to save it on my PC before doing another mix as a new mixdown overwrites the mastered file. On the DP008 you can give a name to the master and I find it saves a lot of time having several mixes available to play later.

Thinking about it, I guess you might be able to rename the master in situ by hooking up the PC to the DP32SD but I prefer to remove the card to work on the files!

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
For others coming to this thread looking for guidence on creating multiple processed stereo masters:
  • Fastest/easiest way is via USB connection rather than popping out the SD card.
Either way:
  • Be sure to rename only the processed .wav file; not the initial unprocessed stereo mix xxxxx_z.wav file.
  • Renamed masters will not load in Master Mode without first changing the new name back to the original name.
  • Renamed masters can be imported for comparison via Audio Depot to empty tracks (including Virtual tracks) of the current song; or into a new song created specifically to audition the various masters.
  • Once the processed stereo master is renamed, the original stereo mixdown file should load when re-entering Master Mode. There should be no need to use the Re-do Button.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online