Us-122 mkii no midi in data

biuro74

Gear owned
US-122 MkII
Hi,

As per title - this device (second hand purchase, but with no issue reports) seems like not sending MIDI In data to a PC. I've checked it with Cubase - no MIDI In signal in monitor window, and with MIDI-OX: monitoring gives me MIDI Out commands only when playing some virtual keyboard, but remains empty with MIDI In.

My keyboard is configured well and 100% working, I've checked both MIDI A and MIDI B ports with no luck: transmit Tx data is being shown accordingly to the port number when notes are being played on it, and red LED on Tascam panel (MIDI In) lights up all the time notes are being playing (blinking otherwise = but regarding to manual it is normal when device sends MIDI Active Sensing messages). So MIDI In data comes to Tascam's processing unit whichever it is - I've just opened up the device looking for any suspected thinghs, but nothing major noticed so far (I can repair just in case) - and it sends appropriate "confirmation message" to user by LED , but apparently nothing comes out via USB.

Cubase is configured well as well, I know how to record MIDI tracks ;-) but as said - even MIDI monitoring window is "blind" (however reacts when MIDI Out is engaged). I've tried reinstalling drivers - all the time it was installed using "Vista SP1" compatibility option, and device has been detected and installed OK. I'm using Windows 10 x64. Generally whole US-122 MKII works as supposed - plays MIDI, records audio from LineIn sockets, and gives monitoring of MIDI device via Phones (keyboard's Line Out connected to Tascam's LineIn socket) - except that unlucky MIDI In port.
When I connect keyboard to PC via just USB cable (with USB-MIDI drivers installed), Cubase records/plays data with no issues - but hey, this is a reason why I've grabbed Tascam US-122 MKII: not to mess with too many cables (and USB sockets in PC are limited).

Because I've noticed many (too many) similar reports from US-122 MkII users, my first question would be:
does anyone have US-122 MkII with working MIDI In with Windows 10 x64 (latest updates) ?

I must confess I'm a bit surprised as I'm working on some Cubase project and was using Tascam with it from some time, but it was for editing existing data and listening how it sounds like. Now I've tried to add some data - and noticed this. Seems like original data has been recorded using my old MIDI interface (M-Audio Delta 2496), but since platform change I cannot use it anymore due to lacking of legacy PCI.

Any other thoughts, please ?
Any clues appreciated.

Last edited:
OK, I've sorted it out.
Don't know which one helped, but I've noticed some brownie bloom in LED leg at soldering side as well as in one side of small passive component going directly to it, so I've resoldered both. At the same time USB2MIDI driver has been installed (described above, when I've checked how keyboard works just with an USB cable connected directly to a PC), I must have forgotten to install it after platform change - but all was working in terms of MIDI playing at least without this driver before.
This way, or another - Tascam works now 100%.

Reactions: -mjk-
Thank you for updating you post with the solution. That really helps the forum become a knowledge base for all users.

Hi Biuro74, thanks for your story, which is exactly like mine. Almost everything works, midi out, midi in lights come on -- just no midi in at the PC. Which USB2Midi driver are you talking about, is it a generic one for Windows?

Also, on another thread I found that at Control Panel > Power Plan Advanced, the USB 'selective suspend settings' should be disabled. Just wanted to add that for future reference. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

The USB2MIDI driver I was referring to - it's specific one for keyboard (Tyros in my case), downloadable from Yamaha's website. It's mainly used for USB connected keyboards acting as MIDI devices (the same serial protocol) - so has nothing to do with Tascam itself, but it is a simply Windows driver for Tascam's " MIDI in/out" connected device. This works like a chain - first element connected to a PC is a Tascam, so it has own drivers, and second stage is keyboard connected to it with its own drivers.

BTW, I've got this option "USB selective suspend" enabled, but in Device Manager I've made sure all USB hubs have got "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" disabled in energy management tab. It was mentioned in few YT video hints.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sofa Surfer
Hi Biuro74, thanks for your story, which is exactly like mine. Almost everything works, midi out, midi in lights come on -- just no midi in at the PC. Which USB2Midi driver are you talking about, is it a generic one for Windows?

Also, on another thread I found that at Control Panel > Power Plan Advanced, the USB 'selective suspend settings' should be disabled. Just wanted to add that for future reference. Thanks!

Hey Sofa Surfer, did you ever solve this issue? I've been trying for months. I've got the option "USB selective suspend" disabled, and in Device Manager I've made sure all USB hubs have got "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" disabled in energy management tab. It sure seems like a driver issue, but I want to make sure before I replace the interface.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.