Us-20x20 latency

kieran o connor

Gear owned
US-20x20
Greetings all.
Newbie Tascam owner here. I just purchased the 20x20 after my M-Audio 2626 gave up the ghost.

Everything is going well. The only issue I'm having is when recording say a mic'd guitar amp over a previously recorded drum track. The recorded guitar is several milliseconds (40-50?) behind the drums which means I have to drag it forward in Reaper to get it to line up. The latency is set to 64 samples on the control panel.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? I do tend to play behind the beat but not that far behind!

If you are using Reaper, then I suggest you look on YouTube on how to do a loop back test for latency compensation.

Reactions: kieran o connor
What do you have checked in the Reaper Preferences Recording for latency compensation. If you were using Firewire, you may have had a lower latency setting than needed with USB.

I would start with the "use audio driver reported latency". If that's not sufficient, then you can go to the next step of using a loopback and adjusting manually.

The loopback test revealed the exact number of packets that I needed to enter into the compensation to completely eliminate latency. Be sure to enable PCD and preserve it on all tracks.

Thanks mjk. (For some reason the quote option is not showing on all posts)

Anyway another feature I've noticed with the 20x20 that differs from my old m-audio interface is that I have to start the 20x20 Settings Panel before I can get any audio out of Reaper. Is this normal?

Likewise if I step away for 15 minutes and the computer goes to sleep, when I come back I have to close and restart Reaper to get audio out again.

Maybe usb and firewire operate differently in this regard

Reactions: -mjk-
That's something going on with your interface, and not from Reaper. My studio system has disabled power saving on all USB ports. You might want to try that.

Also with Reaper be sure to check Allow feedback routing.

in menu/project settings/advanced

For me it also solved latency drift issue.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.