US-2x2 weird knob disfunction issue

itmanov

Gear owned
Tascam US-2x2
Hello, everyone.
I have the weirdest audio interface issue that would be kinda difficult even to describe.

I own a Tascam US-2x2 usb audio interface and I experience the following problem recently. The problem comes and goes, that’s why I was ignoring it but it hasn’t been gone for a while.

Basically the Monitor Balance-knob and the Line Out-knob don’t work correctly. When the problem appears (which is now almost constant) the Line Out-knob does something like a Pan-function – as I spin it from left to right – it adjusts a strange panorama balance between the two speakers. When the knob is on maximum left side – which is supposed to be the minimum volume level – I get a sound from the left speaker. As I start spinning it to the right side I gradually start having a sound from the right speaker two. The level from the left speaker doesn’t change – just the right one gets louder. This way I can adjust the balance between the two speakers – I keep spinning it until I actually get a regular stereo sound. Important: I use the words “left” and “right” but if I switch the cables between them – the same thing happens but in the opposite order – the speakers are not the problem. Also – when they are connected to a different device – everything is fine. So yes – basically it seems the Line Out knob works only for one of the speakers (for one of the outputs).

When I spin the Monitor Balance-knob from Input to Computer sound gradually gets louder until it reaches halfway the distance. After that if I keep spinning it to the Computer side – nothing changes. So the Computer side of the knob doesn’t really function. Also - the levels I get are abnormal loud.

The way I can use the interface is when I use the Monitor Balance-knob as a Volume Control and when I have the correct stereo balance, adjusted by the Line Out knob. But this is ridiculous. Of course I also get the Input noise from the inputs I’m not using.

My only guess is that it’s has something to do with the power management problem. The device gets power supplied only by the usb connection which shouldn’t be a problem but it’s the only thing that comes to my mind except a hardware damage.

Important notes:
1) I don't thing it could be a driver issue - I really tried everything related to this topic, I have the latest drivers installed with the proper settings
2) it’s not a software issue – this happens no matter if I’m using a DAW or just playing an audio file or youtube
3) it’s not a windows problem – I tried connecting the device to a different computer – same problem. I am using windows 8.1 operation system
4) not a speaker or a cable problem either
5) I have only been using the US-2x2 interface via usb connection because Power supply is not included in the package. Therefore the usb power supply should be enough. Yes – I tried all of the usb ports – same problem on each of them. Interesting thing is that not every usb cable works with it - I bought a new one and the only thing I got was a repeatingly clipping sound and no function
6) When the device is being used with headphones – everything is fine. The Phones-knob works correctly
7) The speakers are active Soundking monitor speakers with their own volume controls which are adjusted right
8) Computer power management option is on High Performance, every auto power save options are disabled
9) Sometimes the problem vanishes by itself. Without any interference from my side. This happens mostly if I haven't been using the device for a long time

I tried putting this easy to understand although I realize how confusing it sounds. I will be grateful and open for any ideas for solutions or questions.
Greets

If the headphones function, then the issue is with the monitors. Check all connections, cables, and finally the speakers themselves.

The problem doesn't exist when used with another audio interface.

Reactions: -mjk-
I would replace the interface then.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.