Using a Warm Audio PreAmp with DP32

This is all very helpful. I am the original poster here, and really appreciate the info. I have been too busy to dig in with the Warm Audio unit yet, but it has arrived, and soon I will test it out. If I can tell a major and improved difference with it (and the new vocal mic) then, I will keep it. If it is "meh" or "different" but not better, then I will not keep it.

I just wanted to make sure I was using it correctly before I really decide.

Thanks again. Please keep the discussion going ! If there is any more advice or experience, I would appreciate it.

I was talking about the Audient Mico device.
Yeah, I simply went to the device of the topic's title and was surprised.. Anyway, now we've learned that Warm Audio does state the line level outputs clearly :D

Reactions: -mjk-
Yes, the built in mic pre-amp in the Tascam. But I dont think that is possible.

Can you really bypass the built in pre-amp? I thought that was not possible...Yes, the built in mic pre-amp in the Tascam. But I dont think that is possible.
You're mistaken. The mic and line inputs are separate circuits.

The portastudio low impedance mic circuit uses a preamp to raise a typical, very weak, 2.4mV mic signal to 1.23V line level signal for internal processing.

Professional outboard gear outputs a 1.23V high impedance line level signal. No preamplification is needed when coming into the portastudio high impedance line level circuit, as the portastudio line level circuit is rated at +4dBu, which is 1.23V.

Reviews suggest that Noto's AT 4081 Phantom-powered Ribbon Microphone performs best feeding a 500 Ohm load rather than the 2 kOhm load of the portastudios. Noto found that his DP32 doesn't offer enough gain on the mic circuit for his AT 4081, requiring an external mic preamp with additional input gain control. His mic preamp outputs a +4dBu high impedance line level signal that can (and should) be brought into his DP-32 high impedance line level input.

Any deeper discussion is beyond the scope of this forum. Ample information is available on the internet and in the sticky threads of this forum; or general questions can be posted in the "Recording 101" forum under the "Rock and Roll" section of this site.

Last edited:
Well, just a follow up. I originally posted this question/thread.

I got my Warm Audio preamp and also a compressor all set up and ran my stuff through them and into the DP32. I kept the input trim on the DP32 at full left counterclockwise. It all worked well. I watched the screen and turned the level up from the Warm Audio compressor’s out (my signal went preamp-compressor-DP32, so the compressor was the last “out” to the unit). It all seemed to work fine. Not so sure I can tell a dramatic difference. But that likely is my untrained ear and skill set. I will just keep learning. Thank you for the help.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.