Using an SD card with files on different DP machines

Paul Jankowski

From
Poland/China
Gear owned
Tascam DP-32SD
Hi,

Quick and stupid question: Can I simply use an SD card with files recorded on different DP 24/32 machines or do I have to convert and export the files the same way I transfer them to a PC? I was searching for an answer on these forums, but couldn't find any.

Paul

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

If they are the same type/version machines the file systems are the same. You can trade physical cards, or even share the card contents on a cloud service. The issue becomes file sizes in the case of sharing online, which is why most people simply share exported files.

As for original vs: SD versions of the machines, I would think swapping cards would work. That would make for an interesting experiment as I have the original DP-32 with MIDI.

Reactions: Paul Jankowski
I hesitated to answer because I just don't know.

But I was under the impression that the original DP-24/32 were slightly different operating systems relative to the newer DP-24/32SD versions (edit -and perhaps all 4 DP versions have different OS's for reasons I point out below) - because of the differences between the two version/models, ie: SD models don't have CD burner or MIDI, and (if I recall correctly) the DP-24/32 does not have the option to convert the stereo tracks to mono. This makes me think there may be an incompatibility issue as far as simply taking an SD card from one and inserting it into the other.

But again - I just don't know.

I'm also wondering... if you have a DP-32SD and you have data on every track and then swap that SD card into a DP-24SD - I assume that this is going to cause some sort of error.

And then there's the other thing... they ALL take different firmware. Further making me think that it may be that there is no direct (swappable) SD card compatibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Jankowski
Agree with David... although there is this on page 28 in the DP-32SD manual:-
Note for customers using both DP-32SD and DP-24 units
Before using a song created on a DP-24 with a DP-32SD, always backup the song data or copy the song. When a song created on a DP-24 is loaded on a DP-32SD, the song data is overwritten in DP-32 format, making it unusable by a DP-24.
Please check TEAC Global Site (http://teac-global.com/) for a DP-24 firmware update that enables compatibility with DP-32 format songs.

It seems a bit vague re. the sd/non-sd models, but might be worth asking Tascam/Teac for exact details.

If they are the same type/version machines the file systems are the same

I think the take-home is don't use a different type machine.

@David Porter the DP-32 does have the mono/stereo track capability.

@Phil Tipping would you like to try one of my song folders and see what happens? @Mark Richards has the DP-24 and could try it too. @David Porter you can do some testing too, if you like.

Obviously, working on a 32 track tune with a 24 track machine is going to cause problems. But I'd like to see what happens.

@Phil Tipping this is very strange:

Note for customers using both DP-32SD and DP-24 units

Both units not being SD or original versions, and 24 tracks vs. 32 tracks?

Now we really must do some experimenting! I am open to suggestions for the test criteria. It would have to include at least recording new tracks on each machine and checking on all other machines. Perhaps a basic tune we could all add tracks to?

@David Porter the DP-32 does have the mono/stereo track capability.

Ah. Thanks. So it's only the DP-24 that does not have that capability. Weird.:confused:

It's not exactly what I had in mind (as it's not all that important - but I admit - I'm a little curious) - but I am in the unique position to test this right here at the house as I own a DP-24 and a DP-32SD. I wouldn't be able to get to it for at least a few days, however.

If I do decide to test that - Like MJK asked above - any recommendations on how I could streamline the process in order to make it a valid test - but as quick and easy as possible?

any recommendations on how I could streamline the process in order to make it a valid test - but as quick and easy as possible?
The DP-24 has a 24 track demo song. Does the DP-32 have a 32 track demo song?

Good question Mark. I'm not sure about that. I'll see if I can locate the original SD card - not a sure thing.

I d/l'd the DP-32SD demo from Phil's site. The first 23 tracks loaded into my DP-24 and played back with no issues; and the EQ, Pan, and Effects settings carried over.
Drums: tracks 1-6, 9, 10.
Maracas: track 7.
Slap Bass: track 8.
Congas: tracks 11, 12.
Guitars: tracks 13/14; 15/16; 17/18; 19/20; 23.
Keys: tracks 21/22;
Empty: track 24

The DP-32SD demo has WAV files zz000 through zz0011, and zz0024 through zz0043 (total: 32 tracks).

The DP-24 demo has WAV files zz0000 through zz0023 (total: 24 tracks).

The DP-32SD has extra guitar parts and only one keyboard part in the first 23 tracks. There's no way I can see to load into my DP-24 the DP-32SD zz demo tracks beyond 23.

Last edited:
Cool experiment Mark. At least it plays what it can.

New threads

Members online