Using as Interface: possible to choose which outputs to use for computer sound?

Patrick Gescheidle

From
Montana
Gear owned
DR-40, Model 16
I'm on a Model 16. In Ableton, I have the option of choosing any of my output pairs for my audio out and then I can use the mixer similar to any other interface I've used before. Outside of the DAW, however, I can not select which channels to use as my audio out. So, I'm completely unable to get any sound coming out of my mixer from my computer from any application other than my DAW.
I can't play media in VLC, can't use Youtube, can't play a game. All silent. I do have the Model 16 selected as my computer's speaker, but it won't allow me to select a specific channel pair. Is this just a critical failure of the way the Models are set up or am I missing something obvious here? The Tascam Model Mixer Settings Panel literally only allows me to change the buffer rate, I was hoping the settings I need to change would be there, but no.
Anything?

I have the Model 12 and have been wanting to change the incoming channels as well.
Someone please correct me if i am (hopefully) wrong, but from my understanding, the Model units only accept the incoming audio from your PC/DAW on channels 1 and 2.
It would be great if we could select a different channel pair as the incoming, but that has yet to be a feature. Seems simple enough, but not sure if possible?
Thank you.

I'm on a Mac with an M16 and I was able to change the channels in the computer. My outputs are 13/14 (single fader). What are you using for a computer?

Remember to change the USB output on your model to Stereo;
Menu => System => USB Audio => Stereo
The audio will come out into channels 1 & 2, so remember to set the mode to PC.

My understanding of it based on the M12, if it is set to Multi, the PC audio will come out to channels 15 & 16, so you wont be able to access it without a DAW or specific program.

I have the Model 12 and have been wanting to change the incoming channels as well.
Someone please correct me if i am (hopefully) wrong, but from my understanding, the Model units only accept the incoming audio from your PC/DAW on channels 1 and 2.
It would be great if we could select a different channel pair as the incoming, but that has yet to be a feature. Seems simple enough, but not sure if possible?
Thank you.

For windows, you can reroute the pc audio and programs to other channels but you will need to use a program such as ASIO Live Pro or Voice Meeter to do so.

I believe for mac you will need to use a program like Loop Back to do same or has apple already have something in the os?

Nope! Nothing extra needed: go into audio/midi setup - audio devices - and make sure your Tascam is listed. Then into speaker setup and choose the channels for playback. Worked easy enough as I remember it - it was just finding it (I originally had to do this with a Mackie board I had). I hope that helps.

I'm on a Mac with an M16 and I was able to change the channels in the computer. My outputs are 13/14 (single fader). What are you using for a computer?
I'm on a PC. The output available to me when I connect the Model 16 as an interface is just called "Model 16" with no specification as to which channel. When I use my Behringer, for example, I can choose which of its outputs to use. Similarly, when I'm in Ableton and using the Model 16, I can choose which outputs to use for tracks in Ableton as well.

Remember to change the USB output on your model to Stereo;
Menu => System => USB Audio => Stereo
The audio will come out into channels 1 & 2, so remember to set the mode to PC.

My understanding of it based on the M12, if it is set to Multi, the PC audio will come out to channels 15 & 16, so you wont be able to access it without a DAW or specific program.
When I go into Menu -> System there is no USB option listed.
I have Information, Date/Time, Song Name, Display, Key Function, Footsw, Midi Time Code, Initialize, Media Format.

Thank you.
Incoming signals have not been a problem for me. My computer will receive the incoming signals into various different programs. I just can't figure out how to route the outgoing computer audio back through the Model 16 so I can actually get some sound from my applications.

"Nope! Nothing extra needed: go into audio/midi setup - audio devices - and make sure your Tascam is listed. Then into speaker setup and choose the channels for playback. Worked easy enough as I remember it - it was just finding it (I originally had to do this with a Mackie board I had). I hope that helps."

Sounds like you're talking about doing this inside of a DAW, is that right? I've been able to do this inside of Ableton, no problem.
The problem is that I can't route my computer's system audio out through the Model 16 except by perhaps routing it through a DAW which is not ideal.

No, Patrick - this is in the utilities folder on a Mac. It’s been a while since I used a Windows machine for audio, but I think the answer above about ASIO programs for routing. Sorry I can’t help anymore than that.

I'm on a PC. The output available to me when I connect the Model 16 as an interface is just called "Model 16" with no specification as to which channel. When I use my Behringer, for example, I can choose which of its outputs to use. Similarly, when I'm in Ableton and using the Model 16, I can choose which outputs to use for tracks in Ableton as well.

This is using Voicemeeter Banana, not 100% if this will work for the M16.

On Windows, it seems impossible to do so. BUT, I use the Bluetooth track. I pair the Windows with the Model 24. Et voila! :) hope it help! ***Don't forget to select the Live mode ;)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.