Using Model 24 as a DAW Controller

Charlemagne Kid

Gear owned
Model 12, PocketStudio
Can someone confirm Model 24 can be used as a DAW Controller, just like Model 12?

Reactions: Mark Richards
Thanks. I wanted to double-check because there's a post stating that this was fixed in a software release. My 24 is arriving tomorrow, I was so excited but will probably send it right back. Why can't Tascam clearly state this distinction between 12/16/24. And since this is purely a software capability, it's unbelievable that it's not common across all 3 models. Maybe I'll just buy the 12 and save a little money...

Can someone confirm Model 24 can be used as a DAW Controller, just like Model 12...since this is purely a software capability, it's unbelievable that it's not common across all 3 models.

It's not a "purely software" issue. The Model 16/24 is a FOH analog mixer with a built in digital multi-track recorder.

The Model 12 on the other hand is a fully digital design.

This forum (not affiliated with TASCAM), has tried to clarify these things in the indexed posts found in stickies pinned at the top of this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Thanks Mark...this helps clarify. I was basically looking for a DAW controller but the 24 peaked my interest. I will probably go with the 12 but do you have any other recommendation for a DAW controller (Logic Pro) that has either 16 or 24 channels?

Hmm.

A bunch of companies (Allen & Heath QU16, Presonus Studiolive 16, etc.) make 16 channel digital mixers w/ lots of inputs that also offer DAW control. Certainly at the higher end it's easier to find (to continue w/ Presonus example, there's the Studiolive 32sc)

Many other companies (Mackie MCU) make 16+ channel controllers which work w/ separate interfaces.

I don't know offhand if anyone makes a cheap 16+ channel portable mixer which ALSO works as DAW control AND which has built in recording, though I would check the Zoom L-20 to be sure, and would call somewhere like Sweetwater.

Thanks...I went with the model 12. As a hobbyist, it has everything I need, including nostalgia. 30 years ago, when I first started this journey, I had a Tascam 4-track...can't remember if it was called "PortaStudio" back then....;)

Reactions: Mark Nicholson
Once you get into DAW controlling, you open up another can of worms, such as - is it reasonable to use a $2,000 console as a DAW controller and ignore the audio engines? This is what lead to the development of the AutoMate automation system. At some point you have to decide if you're going to mix on the console using it as an audio interface, or are you going to move automation envelopes in a DAW.

Yes, that is exactly why I bought the 12 as well: Reminds me of my old 464 and its predecessors.

Also, when I start doing DAW stuff, I want knobs.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.