Using Stereo Out AND Monitor Out At The Same Time

ALAN STEPHENSON

Gear owned
DP-24SD
I am currently using my DP-24SD as a mixer for my home studio (I plan to get into recording pretty soon) and when I play together with a couple of friends, we simply run the output through the stereo bus/monitor out signal path to powered studio monitors. However, we wondered if we could simultaneously run output via the stereo out connections and how that might sound (I don't have a 2nd pair of powered speakers to try this with, so thought I'd ask the question first).

The questions I have in trying this are:

1. What controls the output volume to the stereo out connections when I also have output being sent to monitor out (controlled by the monitor volume knob). Is it just the stereo fader?
2. We use effect send for a couple of channels - does this also get sent to stereo out?
3. Will there be any feedback issues when doing this?
4. Would the sound output be improved by this (e.g. by having 4 speakers placed around the room instead of just 2), or should I just stick with my current setup?

Appreciate any input here.

Reactions: -mjk-
using my DP-24SD as a mixer...wondered if we could simultaneously run output via the stereo out connections...We use effect send for a couple of channels - does this also get sent to stereo out?
Yes. The signal is the same going to both circuits. All internal signals go to both, either directly or via the Input and Track parameters.

Stereo Bus is controlled by the Stereo Master Fader. Monitor Bus is controlled by the Stereo Master Fader and the Monitor Level Knob.

How multiple speakers sound, feedback, etc. depends on room size, sound treatment, speaker placement, speaker dispersion characteristics, mic characteristics, mic placement, etc.

You'll find a lot of helpful information in Phil Tipping's Tutorial Videos, the Production Tips and the Equipment Related Tips that are pinned in the sticky area at the top of this forum.

The first post in each sticky has a topics index.

If you still have questions after looking there, c'mon back here and fire away.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Thanks Mark - that helps. I am aware of Phil's excellent tutorials etc, but it is not all that easy, as a novice to this subject, to get the answer to a very specific question from those.

Alan, one of the biggest advantages of Phil's tutorials, IMO, is they're based on understanding the Block Diagram (internal signal flow).

Once you understand signal flow, a whole world of creativity opens up.

It can be a struggle, but one worth undertaking.

Reactions: ALAN STEPHENSON
@ALAN STEPHENSON you should bear in mind that the Monitor control is post Stereo bus fader (expanding on Mark's reply above). Meaning that if you turn down the Stereo bus fader to match your requirements for that set of speakers, you'll have to make up the gain with the Monitor control for those speakers. When setting up your speakers, you'll have to adjust the amplifiers to optimize the gain so the Monitor control has the range you need.

New threads

Members online