Using the same SD Card for Model 16 or 24 and DP-32SD

Magpie

Gear owned
Tascam DP-32
Hi, I'm sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere but I have a pretty simple question: Can I record a band using the Model 16 or 24 onto the SD Card (32gb) and then take that SD card out and put it into my DP-32SD for mixing and mastering the tracks that I've recorded on that SD card?

Not "as is", AFAIK. Because the file structure on the Model and DP series is very different. Better to transfer the tracks from Model card to DP card Audio Depot folder for import.

Could you use a Card Reader for this? Or would it be best to go through my PC?

The actual question that I think you're asking is:

Can Model 24/16 sessions co-exist on the same SD card and share files between songs.

Absolutely not. Each machine needs it's own SD card, formatted for it's own use, and formatted by the machine itself.

What you can do is export the tracks from songs, and copy them to the other card and import them.

Please read the sticky posts on importing/exporting with the machines of interest.

Could you use a Card Reader for this? Or would it be best to go through my PC?

How else would you use a card reader if not using the PC?

How else would you use a card reader if not using the PC?

I believe there are SD card readers where you can put one SD card in one side and another SD card in the other side and then transfer files or data without the need for a computer.

Please read the sticky posts on importing/exporting with the machines of interest

I'm sorry but I couldn't find that sticky

I suppose in my ideal world, I would record on the SD card in the Model 24, then take out the SD card, put it in a card reader, get my SD card from my DP32 and put it in the other side of the card reader and then transfer the files that way. There would be no need to involve a computer. I would then put the SD card into the DP32 and mix and master there. That would be a really simple way to do it, but if I had to use the computer to transfer the files from one machine to the other I suppose it's not the end of the world, it's just a bit more "clunky"

I believe there are SD card readers where you can put one SD card in one side and another SD card in the other side and then transfer files or data without the need for a computer.

I’m pretty sure there isn’t something like this. There must be some kind of processor telling the card reader what to do. If you put one card in one end and another in the other end - then what? Should the card reader start copying files from one card to the other? In that case - from which card and to which? Or should it copy files from each card to the other card? Then how would it know when to stop copying? What about conflicting files? Should they be overwritten?
So many questions, that I’m pretty sure you’d need a computer with an operating system to sort out all file transfer issues.

Yes, I suppose I wasn't very clear (and I hadn't thought it through...), the card reader would have to be connected to a computer. But, once the card reader is connected then I could drag and drop the relevant files to the DP32 card. Meaning I wouldn't have to connect the Model 24 or DP32 to the computer. I'm not even sure this is possible but it would be nice

These days, many computers have a card reader built into the machine. But few machines have 2 card readers. The alternative is to use USB cables and just drag the contents where you want them to be or use the card reader to copy the contents to the PC and and then to the second card, etc..

For years, we have encouraged users to backup their SD cards. Before any modifications are done to the contents of a recorder's SD card outside of the recorder, we highly recommend doing a full backup of the contents of the card first.

I'm sorry but I couldn't find that sticky

At the top level of the forums are sticky posts. You can identify them by the red pins:

https://www.tascamforums.com/forums/2488-and-dp-24-32-digital-portastudios.7/

This is the Equipment Related Tips sticky thread. The very first 2 links are about file import/export on the DP machines. You'll find similar information in the Model 12/16/24 forum:

https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dp24-32-equipment-related-tips.5817/

mate, exporting to audio depot is piss easy and takes seconds, seriously, you don't need to do any of this jumping through hoops.
Record on the Modelxx, connect to pc, connect DP to pc, transfer files to DP Audio Depot. job done

mate, exporting to audio depot is piss easy and takes seconds, seriously, you don't need to do any of this jumping through hoops.
Record on the Modelxx, connect to pc, connect DP to pc, transfer files to DP Audio Depot. job done
Though not as comfortably as on a computer it can be done with an Android phone + OTG/USB-C SD-card adapter. Better than nothing if you happen to be far from your desktop.

Reactions: BazzBass

New threads

Members online

No members online now.