Weird Intermittent clipping ruining all my recordings DR22WL

Salis Syed

Gear owned
DR-22WL
I am experiencing something strange with my recordings which are intermittent in nature. I am unable to pin point the issue. I am getting oscillating clippings in my recording which appear to be on top of the recorded audio. However, while recording, the levels are shown way below the threshold and the recorder peak indicator remains off.

Sometimes it shows up in the beginning and then it stops. At times the recording starts ok but adds then that weird oscillations start.

So far I have tried recording using multiple recording modes available, including double format, manual mode etc. I have even used external lav mic to rule out the issues with mic.

I assume it is picking some type of interference but I'm not sure.

Following is the distorted audio wave form that automatically disappearsupload_2018-5-1_17-34-40.png
and closeup
upload_2018-5-1_17-37-42.png

following is the link of sample files

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oxtm6y7fjiqcbw6/AACXb7gGhEiv2VDY4BoXJm7Ba?dl=0

Please advise. The device has been bought last year and has been sparingly used

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-1_17-33-18.png
    upload_2018-5-1_17-33-18.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 4
Cell phone close to the recorder?

I would send those audio files ( or the links ) directly to Tascam support and see what they say.

Cell phone close to the recorder?
Nothing within 10-12 feet range not even the camera. Shooting in an open space so no overhead or nearby wires or any other possible interference.

Already submitted everything to Tascam support about a week ago. No response from them yet except an automated reply. :cry:

Are you in the USA? There is a phone number on the Tascam support page. You might try that. They do answer.

One more guess: try a different SD card. Perhaps you are hearing data periodically written to a card that has a bad or intermittent ground.

Reactions: Salis Syed
Have you tried recording Mp3's? Yes I agree it's also worth trying a different card. I emailed Tascam support about an unrelated question and they never replied except for that auto-response. I ended up calling them and they did answer. Try another Email if it's been longer than a week. Call them if you can. Be persistent and get them on this. Something is not right.

One more guess: try a different SD card. Perhaps you are hearing data periodically written to a card that has a bad or intermittent ground.

Will try the changing the SD card. I hope this is the issue. Thanks for the tip

@stereoMike, I have tried MP3 through dual format recording and similar phenomena observed over there. I won't be back to US till July. If Tascam has a support email at the very least they should have responded on email after a week, very pathetic support.

I checked the SD card and it had errors on it. Replaced it with another card and now for the couple of recordings the issues seems to have disappeared.

Thank you guys for your help!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.