When Using Outboard Mic Pre....?

zozoe

Gear owned
388, MR16 1" tape,
....is it best to take the 1/4" out of the preamp and use the 1/4" input on the Model 16 or 24, or go preamp out to XLR on the board? Or does it make no difference? And, -10 or +4 on the back of pre?
Thanks, and hope all are well~

Or option C: Bypass the mixer preamps by using your insert jacks. Take your preamp out to the insert jack and plug it in until it clicks. I use a TRS cable for this on the model 12, but should work for the 16/24 too.

Reactions: Matthew Fogel
In other words, if I'm using a 2 cond. instrument cable, don't put it all the way in, just till it clicks? And I assume that since the Model 16 has inserts on only I/O's 1 & 2, I could assign it to go to any desired track? (Don't have it yet)
Thanks Morgelec!!

Last edited:
Previous discussion is here:

https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/external-mic-preamp-question.7803/#post-37288
----
How To Search The Forum

Quick Search:
At the upper right is the search field. Enter your keywords into that field to search the selected forums of interest.

The "Search Results for Query:" page will be displayed.

Please note that there are two tabs on the results page: One tab displays Google Results, while the other tab displays Site Results. Please click on Site Results to see all the matching threads on the forum.

Detailed Search:
Under the main tab named Forums, there is also a sub-tab named Search Forums where you can launch a more comprehensive search.

TRS = Tip, Ring, Sleeve and is a three conductor cable connector. Pushing one of these into a console's insert jack as described above is an old trick. Since the insert jacks are typically unbalanced, it should be OK. The advantage is to bypass the internal mix preamps.

And that is the issue. Preamp to preamp is generally not a good idea and with the possibility of 48v phantom power going from the console mic input to the output of the external preamp.... well, it doesn't make sense to use the XLR input unless one would have a very good reason to do so. A for -10/+4 that depends upon whether your equipment is professional or consumer level. In general, it's a good practice to start on the lowest setting (of whatever) and bring things up until the desired level is achieved.

So, coming out of the Aphex 107, I should use a 3 cond. cable, regardless of the type of 1/4" out on it or if the output is only two cond., I could use a regular guitar cable? I don't have the manual for the Aphex.
Thanks MJK

@zozoe I'm not telling you (nor am I going to tell you) what cable to use. @Morgelec said he used a "TRS cable" and in the very next message you said "if I'm using a 2 cond. instrument cable". I was pointing out that a TRS cable is a 3 conductor connector, not a 2 conductor connector.

I don't have the Aphex 107 either. I'm not going to download the user manual and investigate whether the output is balanced or unbalanced. But there is nothing stopping you from doing so and making that determination for yourself.

When considering any piece of equipment, I always download the user manual and read it completely so I understand the functions and the suitability for my application.

Reactions: Matthew Fogel
Thanks MJK, I missed that.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.