Which 73 gb hdd for mx

Herve QUEVAL

Gear owned
MX2424
Hi
Did somebody tested the Seagate ST373207LC with the MX.
Is it working????

Best regards.

Last edited:
Hi,
looking at previous discussion, it seems that 72Gb physical capacity is the limit for the MX ( reason it stop during mount ?) .
I think that Seagate U320 is not a problem as the U320 disk announce U160 for compatibility reason ( seagate doc).
I decide to do a new test. For that purpose, I reactivate an old PC with SCSI bus and DOS Seagate tools "SeaTools". The tool will permit to reduce the physical capacity of the disk. I will do it certainly next week.
I use Seatools under Windows 10 but only possible to test disk, repare bad blocks and see disk information especially the total running hours. I will keep you informed of the result.

Last edited:
Hi,
My old PC with SCSI bus works well (Adaptec 29160). XP boot correctly and see the HDD and Yamaha burner but Seatools DOS do not detect the controler! Not easy to use old SW and HW version.!! Adaptec Bios is activated but do not work properly with FreeDos/Seatools.
I will continue to investigate.
In the mean time, I install a new disk on the MX to backup recordings.
Fujitsu 32GB U160 80pin connector works well with FAT32. I copy all traks and open them under Pro-tools on WIN10. no issue.
I will keep you informed about Seatools for DOS.

Seatools for DOS will not and never work because the controller is not supported.
I will continue to use MHDD tool from HDDGURU but no direct possibility to reduce SCSI disk size, tool give possibility only on IDE.

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I don't seem to have the time to drop by as much.
73G is ok capacity as long as the MX is running the latest version of the operating system. Most are now. I think it's OS3.10 from memory, but anything after 1.53 should work, but use the latest OS as the MX works much better.

I have not had much joy with using 80pin drives and adaptors, I stick to 68pin drives. Seagate usually work but I have had a few that give me problems until I format to fat32 on a pc first then format on the MX.

Are you only using 1 drive or multiple drives? using multiple drives you need to be careful with drive ID numbers and active terminators.
Cheers
Alan

Reactions: mixerizer
Hi Alan, about the questions:
I use multiple drive on my MX and also on the PC and take care to set the right ID for each drive. For that purpose, I set ID 0 on the fixed disk of the MX and set the ID on the tray of the MX and PC. Using this strategy, the ID is automaticaly set at the right value when I insert the Tray. Termination are stantard active LVD termination in all cases.

About the FAT32 format, I do in same way as you: new disk formeted FAT32 under Windows10 and then inserted in the MX that finalize disk setup during "mount". Works fine. ( Windows 10 is my main PC with my DAW.

Based on your information ( 73G is ok capacity) and my test, I confirm that U320 disk do not work. I do a test with 36GB and 73GB disk and it was blocked during mount even if FAT32 is OK) !! It is not capacity but U320 standard ( quite sure). The two disk used for this test are 2,5" Seagate OEM for IBM ... Normally original U320 from Seagate annouve them as U160 but not the OEM version (cf Seagate doc). I did not found any tools to modifiy disk setup ( using SCSI MODE command) . Will have to developp this programm but no time at this moment (and prefere workaround).

I solv this blocking problem using U160 disk.
I test all my disk with MHDD running with DOS. it permit to check disk response time, time to read block, surface analyses and disk erase, block realocation (HDD buil-in function). I check the surface periodically (OK!!) and use Seagate or Fujitsu U160 HDD.

No issue during recording session, never lost any recording (MX OS3.01; transfer to PC by disk swap).

Reactions: mixerizer

New threads

Members online

No members online now.