Aux Send/Return

Yes, I have a pair of Lexicon MPX-1s connected as stereo devices to Aux Outputs and Aux Returns 1, 2, 3, and 4.

When you wire the deices through the auxes, you ARE sending the signal you want compressed out Aux 1, right? Selecting the fader, pushing the Module Button, pressing the third square button under the LCD to bring up the AUX/BUSS page, and then using the encoder knobs to send the signal out AUX 1?

"ch49 and in the assign screen it's on STEREO, so I should hear a signal, but I don't..........."

A couple of things -

As Jim mentioned previously, INserts are the usual (arguably BEST) methods for outboard compresser/limiter - and/or - limiter/compressor ...etc etc. And there's a good reason: with the physical inserts, you're able to break the signal in the ideal place, route it to a 'leveling/dynamics control module", tweak that module against the original source, then drop it into the signal chain before analog becomes digital at the conversion stage. Bottom line: you gain an additional dynamics tool on the front end which can be very beneficial when you're in the mixing stage down the road.

That doesn't mean you can't do what you're attempting, but from your statement, you're putting a square peg (stereo assigned channels) onto a round hole (mono cha49). Wouldn't you want to choose which gender the signal is, and make it compatible on both sides?

So - you could use 49/50 as a stereo pair (not familiar with that layer of the 4800, so I could be wrong). If that doesn't work, then there's a routing issue on your board needing attention. Could be something simple like your return faders NOT BEING ASSIGNED TO THE STEREO BUS - a common oversight. That amber STereo button/light up there has to be lit for EVERY channel you want to hear summed to the stereo bus.

CaptDan

Last edited:
@captdan
How can I assign it to the stereo bus?
I think that's the most logical cause
I tried enough stuff, but it didn't work

Tell me what you did, maybe that will be the point i missed

I have already described the way it should work twice at least, in different terms. It's clear you're not a native speaker of English, which is my only language, and that you don't know the basic operation of your gear.

Use the compressor in the console. It works fine.

Let's say you've got the returns from your C/L assigned to a stereo pair - let's say - 40/41. You obviously have to create that stereo pair by SELecting CHannel 40 (hold finger on SELect) while pushing on CHannel 41's SELect key. The unseen magician in the console throws up a message: "Stereo? Yes? No? " Hit ENter and it's done. (There's an alternate way using a global menu but that's for another time.)

Now, Channel faders 40/41 are raised to 00 (unity gain). While those faders are in SELect mode, hit the MODule key. (Not necessary but it gets you dialed in for the final step). Next, look on your console for the 'Bus' panel (on the 3200 it's in the upper left/center quadrant). Find Stereo, and touch that button 'till the amber light is on. Now, 40/41 fader modules are routed to the stereo bus, along with any or all of the remaining elements.

Finally, inspect the details your 40/41 Module screen. Hit the 'SETUP' tab and look carefully at what's going on there. I can't tell you how many mixes I f***ed because something in that screen was awry. Examples:

-CHannel TRIM - this can be both handy and a knife in your back. Make sure it's sitting on 0 - with no ATTenuations (-3, -8db etc), or boosts (+3, +5 db etc).

-PHASE - here's another explosive waiting for you to step on it. Make sure either mono or stereo channels are IN phase --not REVersed (unless you did this deliberately for any number of reasons).

-AUX sends - If you have an internal effect assigned to Aux 1/2, you want these return faders UNassigned to those auxes. So Aux1/2 should be something like -100db ('off').

Hit the Module key and disable any EQ or Dynamics (at least 'till such time you think you might want to experiment).

A lot of the foregoing doesn't apply to the DM's 'crippled' channels - those without some of the described features. But if the other, fully active' modules are being used, everything above applies.

Probably way more info than you wanted but I had a few minutes. :)

CaptDan

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Craig
Marcel, I have a compressor and an enhancer inserted in the stereo channel, and other outboard gear connected through aux/asn send and returns the way I believe you want to do also. If your native language is dutch by any chance, I might be able to help you by PB or email.
gr, Frans

Yes I am Frans
It would be very helpful

I'm going to bed now
I will write you a PM tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem solved

Cause:

A setting from the former owner was wrong

Thanks for the help

Reactions: captdan
That was the first thing I did
I must say that the DM4800 is awesome

Got my Alesis Monitor 1 mk2 actives directly connected to my mixer and it souds awesome

New threads

Members online

No members online now.