DP-24 Pops and Clicks

Awful, I can't use it, but can link the MIDI to my Keyboard, or Reaper, and get a good click track. The internal one is distracting!

Thanks guys.

Mines about to arrive over the next few days. Do I just grab the latest firmware and update?
Or do i need to grab the early ones and update each one till i get to the latest?

Got my 2 DP'24 midi-linked and upgraded with v1.15 and I greatly pleased. From what I read the pop/click should be dead. Great that Tascam responded, great technology.

• Hey Sonorous, I was wrong, and I am sorry for giving you the wrong information. I was told several times that the Non SD, and SD models used the same firmware, and while that's likely the case, the SD models shipped with all the issues up to V1.14 already straight, so instead of starting their numbers at 1.15, the SD models first, and thus far only update is V1.01, so what you showed in your link is the right place. Download the Release notes PDF, and it has instructions at the bottom right side of the page on loading the update, or refer to the manual. Once again, I apologize, I should have done the research myself instead of taking what I was told as the correct information. I will delete the posts that indicate the use of v1.15 for the SD models.
Sorry, Keith

Last edited:
Man, I feel really disappointed that I didn't check the information about the firmware updates before posting the wrong info. I always make sure to check the companies site before posting about any product, but this seemed so reasonable since the only difference is the lack of CD , and MIDI. I'm still convinced that the two updates are probably the same, but because it's the first update for the SD models, it makes sense to start the version number at 1.01. I will not make this mistake again! That, you can count on.

Peace all, Keith C

Reactions: Sonorous
Hey Keith!
No stress mate all good!
You're only trying got help and I am grateful for that!

I checked my unit and it already has the V1.01 so no need to update at this stage.
Am loving this unit!

Great, all set and ready to go!
Enjoy your DP, it's a great machine.
Peace, Keith

Thanks again..

Sorry to be off topic but is this SD card good enough?
SANDISK Extreme PRO 32GB SD SDHC Memory Card U3 UHS-I 95MB/s

There is a list of cards that work with the DPs, I would check it against that. A link to the list, or possibly the list is in the manual, or Google, Tascam dp32sd approved media card list. They're evidently pretty picky as to which cards work best. I use the Sandisk 32 GB Ultra, which is on the list. I know they must be class 10, and I may be mistaken, but on the DP24, I don't think the extreme was listed, but I could be wrong. But to make sure you don't lose a great song, or track, check the approved media list, and use one of those. :)
Good luck, happy recording, KC

I've done one track with the update installed so far, made sure I was set to 48k/24 bit, and it has no noise of any kind at all. Well, except for my playing, but can't blame the firmware for that. I think this update has cured a lot of ills.

Hey Bob, glad to hear it!! As I stated in an earlier post, whatever the release notes say the updates fix, always seem to be what is fixed. And while I've yet to do any songs, I have gone through the paces with the unit, and witnessed the fixes. My unit was shipped just prior to v1.10, and I've done three updates up to v1.14,( haven't downloaded v1.15 yet), and they've done everything the release notes say as far as I can tell. I really hope that the issues I spoke about in an earlier post get updated soon, the chimey metronome sound, and if possible, more usability of the onboard effects. But glad to hear you've tried it, and it seems to be working.
Peace, Keith

We'll be giving it more of a workout this weekend, as we're planning to start work on a couple new songs...I'll set them to 48/24 and listen for any stray noises as we track and mix. I think they'll be fine though...I'd be surprised to hear any noise.

Having a couple of issues with my dp-24.

Firstly, I have an intermittently failing monitor control. It has "fixed itself" a couple of times now, suddenly it will start working again.
I feel like it's a software issue rather than an actual failure of the hardware ie; the pot itself. I have installed the latest firmware.
I recently mastered the process, I think, of saving whole songs via usb into my laptop and have successfully reloaded them.

Which brings me to my second problem.
I am experiencing drop out, not all the time, but again, intermittent.
I have cleared and reformatted the card, that came with the machine and reloaded the saved files back into the recorder.
Is it possible the files are corrupted, could the card be the cause of dropouts?

I have had this thing a year and only lately started using it a lot, at first it worked cleanly, no drop outs, pristine sound and a functioning monitor buss. Now it has become very erratic in its performance.

Thanks to anyone who may have any input or suggestions.
I posted in this post because it seems to be the most recently active.

If you did update to the latest firmware, this might be a totally new issue that is unrelated to the issues that were just fixed. More than likely faulty unit or faulty media. Try a new SD card for starters.

Last edited:
Scott, I just posted a reply to your original post, but in a nutshell, formatting and using one of the SD cards on the list Tascam has tested is a good start toward resolving, or at least minimizing the issues you're having, as well as the new firmware that you've already updated.

Reactions: Scott Barker
I think the dropouts are probably the 2gb year old card. The pot may be dirty, but may be bad. Unless you purchased an extended warranty, you'd probably be better off finding a good local tech to clean, or replace the pot, Tascam is too expensive. My bet is it's dirty, and would be relatively inexpensive to have cleaned.
Peace, and good luck!

Reactions: Scott Barker
  • Assuming that you already tried formatting the media card using the DP-24 format utility and you're still having problems.
  • Personally, I'd get a can of Caig DeOxit and blast the media port with it and call it a day. If that doesn't fix the issue then it's not a dirty connector. Plus, anyone who owns a piece of audio gear should have a can of this pure gold magic. DeOxit literally raises the dead!
  • The next step I'd take if cleaning the connector doesn't work is try another supported media card. If that doesn't correct the issue either, then you'd probably have to send it to Tascam to diagnose the problem.

Last edited:

New threads

Staff online

Members online