DP-24 Pops and Clicks

Yes, the nectar.of life, Coffee, Java, Mud!!! The darker, the better! I went to many videos, and sites after my last post, and it does have MIDI in, and out for the exact same uses as the DPs MIDI, Just time clocking!!! That is a biggie for me, but one thing I found, and it may just be that I'm listening on my smart phones speakers, is the kick on every single video, and recording I found sounds like a click, more than a kick. I have a feeling that it's my listening device, but before I jump out and buy it, and the pedal, I'M gonna have a listen to everything through my Yamaha HS 8's, the older discontinued ones that replaced the iconic NS 10's. I picked them up used, still in the original boxes, and they look and sound brand new, for $280.00 for the pair, ( They sell new for $350 each!). A good listen through those should tell me what the kick really sounds like! And please don't think I was dissing your drummer, Charlie Watts was a huge compliment!!!
Headed for cup#3, talk soon, Keith

When I mix, I tend to shoot for a flat "thump" on the kick, rather than a booming "THUMP" by boosting the EQ, because I try to keep everything clear and distinct in the mix, and avoid the "puddle of mud" that occurs around 400hz, so my mixes (whether BB or real) don't have a booming kick in them.

When Sweetwater had a sale on the JBL LSR308 monitors (buy one, get one half off), I grabbed a set and upgraded my previous Alesis monitors with them. All the press about the enhanced "sweet spot" on the JBLs is legit, by the way...they sound great, and I believe have helped me to get better mixes since I installed them.

I didn't think you were knocking him, by the way...we had a conversation about adding just the right parts to compliment a song yesterday, and he brought up Ringo. He said people tend to view him as no big deal, but as a drummer, "try to play what he plays", and you find out just how perfect his parts were for the song at hand.

I'm not much for a booming kick either, just a solid thump, but on the phone at least, the kick sounds like an electronic click kick. However, I think it's likely the phone. Funny thing is, the worst recordings were the My BeatBuddy sites. On PGS Andy's clip, you can't even hear the drums, but if you watch that clip on YouTube, it sounds great? Those JBL's are phenominal! I think the Yammy's are very close. The older model that I have, include a room switch as well as the low, and high boost/cut, and are the go to reference monitors in many pro studios. And he's absolutely right about Ringo, he is THE most likely underrated drummer ever! His timing is like a metronome, and when he does fills, they may be minimal, but I couldn't imagine any Beatles song having a better drum track! Gonna do some wiring, and set up, and try to get some acoustic, and vocal tracking done. Have a great day, and thanks for more EQ help!
Peace!

Have fun and have a great day! I'll also be cooking up something new today that I started before my drummer arrived yesterday...looking forward to seeing where that takes me!

You're a recording machine! I wish I could hurry up and get into a permanent space so I could get use of all my gear. As it is, I have to move my entire room around just to get started, a space with room to set it all up to stay, and I'd be working at it 7 days a week. But today, all I need is two mics, and the DP rack! You have fun today!!!
TTYL, K~

The reason the BB sounds like the real thing is that it's loaded w/ prerecorded loops of live drums, vs. synthesized drum sounds.

If anyone wants to save a great deal of cash, there are quite a few options w/ iPhone / iPad that have top-shelf drum loops, and a lot more flexibility in terms of drilling down (if you want to) for arrangement.

You're right on both counts, Icepulse...when I first saw the BB on Kickstarter, I couldn't resist because A.) it was so radically new, and B.) they hit the mark when they pointed out how much easier it is to use than a regular drum machine, like my Alesis SR-18.

Like I said to Keith earlier...the best endorsement I can think of for the BB is that my drummer hates it because (in his own words), "it's too da**ed good!"

It's absolutely ideal for a guitarist in a busking scenario, or solo show, where it just takes its place next to another pedal or two. But for the purposes of adding accompaniment in a studio scenario, there are easier and equally capable solutions that can be found for the price of a good app.

While I agree there are equally capable solutions, I'd be surprised to find something easier than a pedal, but never say never.
I'm fortunate that my friend/drummer comes in to do the final drums on our work. I either just set a click track to work against, or if I have an idea for a drum part, I use the BB. In either case, I email him an MP3 to work against, and when he's got what he wants to do down, he comes in and we track it.
The approach is backwards from what you'd expect (get the back line down first, and build from there), but it works for us and our schedules, so that's our process.

Well, like anything hardware-related, the fewer controls, the more often you're obliged to learn sequences of taps, holds & double-presses, because of the absence of dedicated controls for each feature. It's exactly why I opted for a DP-32 over a Zoom R-16 / R-24; on those devices, you have to drill down a lot more into a tiny menu screen, just to access some pretty commonly used features.

I do apologize, as we have drifted off course from the Pops & Clicks topic, but I hope our conversation, which includes the nuts and bolts of "here is the song, and this is how it was recorded on the DP-24" proves to be helpful for anyone who wonders "how'd he get that tone?"

Thanks Bob, it's getting a bit long, isn't it. Would you like me to split it into a new topic for you? If so, please let me know the post # to begin the new topic with and a new title. Thanks.

Reactions: BobV55
My friends and I have been Tascam users since the mid 80's...we had a 4 track cassette deck that weighed a ton back then. I think the model was 244? I really enjoyed the 2488 when it first launched, despite it's price...I think it was between 12-1300, as I recall, but it was groundbreaking at the time. It even had a built in MIDI drum arranger, so no external gear was necessary. It was during the 2488 days that I found the original Tascam Forums that Dr. Who (Bruce) started, which was a tremendous community of people helping each other. I was glad to find this revival.

Hi DJ,
Thanks, but let's call it a day on the side path at this point instead, so folks can get back to the point. I've exchanged emails with Keith, so we don't go off on long tangents.
Thanks for offering!

Reactions: DJ X
How do you change the settings from 24bit to 16bit prior to recording?
Also is there a huge difference in quality when doing so?
IM yet to receive mine.
Thanks.

How do you change the settings from 24bit to 16bit prior to recording?
Also is there a huge difference in quality when doing so?
IM yet to receive mine.
Thanks.

You get the option whenever you create a new track. Most can't hear any difference. Others claim to.

Hi DJ X, it's actually my fault on the off topic stuff. I had just commented above that you'd probably want us to move it, and we will refrain from further off topic conversations. Thanks for being so patient with us.
Very happy forum member, Keith

Reactions: Sonorous
Apparently an update in firmware was recently released that would fix this issue?

Yes, the update was released to address this, and can be found in the downloads section of the product page.

Reactions: Sonorous
And from the release notes, it seems to be one of the deepest firmware updates so far, if the number of stated issues fixed is any measure!
I wish they'd do an update to the sound of the metronome, and I'd almost bet they could make it possible to use more than one effect at a time, and at any phase of recording. That would make it an almost perfect MTR!!
Peace, Keith

+1 on the metronome sound request. Sounds like bottles hitting each other.

New threads

Members online