DP-24 Pops and Clicks

Yes they are! I so prefer video tutorials, but they are usually only helpful once you've mastered the basics. I did get David Wills DP video, but even as long as it is, he only shows a basic use of the unit, not treading into outboard effects to any useful knowledge. I'm a pretty smart fella, once I get my energy back, and don't feel so apathetic towards even things I love, I'll dive in, and be making good recordings in no time at all!

Thank again, KC:)

Gents,

Are there any experiences with the new firmware?

I don't have access to my machine (staying abroad) so I can't test yet.

Grtz,

Jos

Hey Josh, haven't tested it yet, but thus far, the updates do what the release notes say they do, and if you haven't read the release notes for v1.15, they seemed to address the pops, and clicks on several levels, and threw in a few more timing error fixes, such as punch in actually starting where you punch in. I replied, but just to give a heads up on that, I'm sure someone who's checked it all out will reply soon
Peace, KC

I did the update last Saturday, after we'd completed some vocal tracks that we needed to do, but haven't started anything new since the update was applied. My drummer is coming in today to do some drum tracks, again on existing songs, but if we start anything new, I'll give it a test.

Hiya Keith...getting the chores out of the way early to leave the afternoon free for tracking drums today :)

Sounds like an afternoon of fun. Enjoy, can't wait to hear the finished project. I'll get started very soon, a drummer friend is getting a space, so I'm moving my gear to his space, then, FINALLY, I'll be able to make some joyful noises called ROCK N ROLL. :)
PEACE, KEITH

Hey, that's great news! You've been waiting a long time to get set up and start tracking! My mission today is to have my drummer replace the track I cooked up on a new song (I sometimes like to play against a drum track rather than a click track when I'm doing something new).
I wrote the music for this, and my friend wrote (and sang) the lyrics...it's more topical than our usual, but it's what he had on his mind when he did the lyrics:

https://soundcloud.com/crossroads2012/garage-songwav

If all goes well today, I'll be remixing this with the real drums, and we'll probably toss in some leads and such during the final bridge.

Wow, all that on a DP, what did you make those drum tracks with? They are definitely good enough for their purpose, and I think they sound pretty darned real. If it's machine, I'm amazed, as I've never heard any drum machine that sounded even remotely like acoustic drums. What is it, and how much can one expect to pay for it?

Great stuff, Keith

That's actually a pedal based drum machine called Beat Buddy...I caught this early on a Kickstarter campaign the developer did to raise funding for it. I think it's now available on the market at retailers, but I don't know what the end price wound up being. I think I got it for around $200 during the campaign. It does sound surprisingly good, and where it's a pedal, you can actually add fills, switch song sections, pop in a cymbal and such live, while you're playing guitar. My drummer hates it, which is a good endorsement for a drum machine ;)

Yeah, I've kept up with the Beat Buddy since it was announced probably over a year ago, or more. I've watched their videos, and numerous unofficial videos, but never heard anything recorded in a song format. I think they are a bit over $300.00 now, but that's a guess based on hearsay. I can't believe how close to a real acoustic kit that sounded. Looks like that G.A.S. is back. If it's as easy to use as the official video shows it to be, I think it's a must have for a singer/songwriter who can play most necessary instruments, but suck when it comes to beating the skins, I must just be too sane, and normal to be a drummer! LOL I'm going straight to Google to see how much they are now. By far the best sounding machine I've heard, and since I'm a guitarist, I understand pushing a pedal with my foot! Haha.
Peace, Keith

Well, I can attest that it really is as easy to use as they show in their vids...the song you just heard is a good demo as to the sound quality too. It really does sound like a live drummer, and is extremely easy to use. I already had the Alesis SR-18 when I bought the BB, but the SR-18 is a pain to program and use (although it also sounds pretty good). Another advantage of the BB is the way they've quantized the beats - they don't sound perfectly mechanical and robotic, there's actually slight timing variations, and the stick attack varies, just as it does with a real drummer.
I must be too normal too...I played every instrument you heard on that track, but I do not have the arm/leg coordination to okay drums at all...I really stink behind the kit!
I prefer having live drums, so I'm looking forward to hearing what my drummer has cooked up for this song. I did a mix for him with the Beat Buddy muted, and just a straight click track playing, so he's been developing his part to that mix, which is what we'll be recording today.

For contrast, here's a recent one with my drummer on it - he has an Alesis DM-10 kit that he keeps here for recording.

https://soundcloud.com/crossroads2012/me-2

Bob

They are selling on all the usual online sites for $299.00 now. I looked at a few reviews about recording with the BB, and actually saw an answer from you, but I didn't see anyone except you who knew anything about recording. So, my question is: Does it have stereo outs I can output to my preamps in my interface, with separation between different drums, and the ability to record them dry so I can do my own processing? I'm leaving to run some errands and will listen to the link when I get back. So I will reply in a few hours.

Talk to you in a bit, Keith. :)

I sure am glad I heard that track, I was going to use my synth, which has great drum sounds, to do MIDI maps, but I think the BB would be A LOT FASTER, EASIER, and no programming one drum, and one beat at a time!

Yes, it does have stereo outs, which I simply run into the E and F inputs on the DP-24, so I do record the tracks dry. I give them a boost at 12-13k for the cymbals, enhance the snare a bit at 7k, and give the kick a touch at about 200 as far as EQ goes, and I use the DP-24's internal reverb to give it a little presence, dialing it in at about 60-65 for the drums (as compared to 105 on the vocals), and the result is what you just heard. That's the recipe I use for both the BB, and for Steve's Alesis kit as well.

Later!

Hey Bob, I really appreciate that, you likely just saved me hours of trial and error eq'ing the drums. I will have to save my Penny's, and get a BB, your track convinced me that's the way to go, especially if I have drum tracks in my head that I want the drummer to follow closely. Thank you so very much, talk when I get home!

My pleasure, Keith - happy to share all I've learned while working with my setup here!

Thank you very much for getting this update out here. I just updated the firmware on my DP32-SD, and will (hopefully) be using it to make 24-bit recordings of my brother on guitar. I will let people know how the new firmware is working for me.

Good morning Bob, listened to Tell Me, and while I could hear a definite difference between the live drummer, and the BB, it was mostly the Crash, snare, and kick. The drummer tends to be a bit more constrained as far as being more of a Charlie Watts than the more busy beats that are in Martin's Love,( which I like the ideas he expressed in that tune, too bad everyone doesn't think like that!). But I believe with a little more bottom in the kick, and a bit more POP in the snare, the BB would be virtually impossible for the average listener to tell that it's not a "Real drummer". What kind of amp are you using for the guitar, and I'm hoping you are getting the bass tones by plugging into H, with no amp? I say that just to make my life a bit easier, as I don't have a bass amp, and wouldn't subject my Reeves, and the wonderful Weber Thames Ceramic speakers to a signal that low! We need to exchange emails, or if you have Messenger, we could chat there. I think the moderator is going to get a little upset if we keep this conversation going too much longer, Haha. Last questions on the beat buddy. Can you assign the individual drums to one side or the other, and does it have any kind of MIDI clock to sync to say, a guitar track recorded to a click track, adding the BB later? I can't remember where you are on the planet, but I'm in Virginia, and have unfortunately been waking up between 2-3 am for a few weeks, so I don't know if you're awake this time of day or not, so just hit me back when you have a chance!
Peace brother, Keith

Morning Keith...will try to answer this as life giving coffee makes it's way down the hatch.

Steve was constrained in his track for Tell Me, because it fit the song well...have another listen to Martin's Love when you get a minute, and you'll find he's not so constrained there (his track replaced the BB track yesterday). He plays what he thinks suits the song best, and as much as I agree with how good the BB is, his track is much better.

I used the Egnater Tweaker for the guitar on both these songs, SM-57 positioned just off center on the cone, straight feed into the DP-24....used my Strat for Tell Me, and my LP for Martin's Love, obviously using different pedals for the different songs. I generally EQ my guitar tracks by rolling off at 400, adding a bit at 3.2k and 6k to best shape the guitar tone.

The bass (fretless Jazz on both these tracks) goes through a Tech 21 VT Deluxe pedal for shaping tone, and from that, straight into the DP-24. I don't add any EQ to that track, as the pedal takes care of EQ duties.

The Beat Buddy comes with a desktop software application that allows you to either modify the included beats, or cook up your own. I haven't used it myself, as I've just made do with the provided beats, but you may be able to assign the drum position within that program. I don't think there's a clock for the purpose of sync...in Martin's Love, for example, I had created a click track on 23/24 first, and I started the BB after the first four count of the click. I guess I served as the sync clock (told you I'm old school).

I'm in the same time zone, up in New England where they pahk the cah in the yahd, by the way.

Back to coffee.........

(Edited to add) I do apologize, as we have drifted off course from the Pops & Clicks topic, but I hope our conversation, which includes the nuts and bolts of "here is the song, and this is how it was recorded on the DP-24" proves to be helpful for anyone who wonders "how'd he get that tone?"

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.