IF/FW-DMmkII drivers running under El Capitan

Gravity Jim

Soundaholic
I just updated my 12-core 2010 MacPro to the OSX 10.11 ("El Capitan") Golden Master candidate, and the news is good.

I can confirm that the most recent IF/FW-DMmkII driver runs flawlessly under 10.11 (I had tried an earlier beta and while the driver and FW card worked, Digital Performer did not). TMC and the IF/FW-DM Control Panel both run fine, as well.

In fact, it seems to be fine with all my software.

As usual, YMMV. Don't try it unless you've got multiple paths back: startup clone, bootable recovery disc, etc.

Reactions: Jeff and waterstrum
That is good news!
Thanks for reporting the latest info.
Much appreciation.

Note that there is a big difference in how software and drivers work when upgrading an version of OS X with previous software and drivers already installed and installing software and drivers on a new virgin OS X such as with a new hard disk or partition or on a new Mac.

I'm aware of many issues with installing and stable working of various Pro Audio software and drivers that only cropped up in OS X 10.11 Beta Seed 8 and the GM builds.

There are known issues with Cubase 8, Nuendo 7 crashes, Steinberg dongle dropouts, UAD Satellite and Apollo Firewire drivers not working, Focusrite USB, Pro Tools 12.2 and iLok issues to name a few.

OS X 10.11.0 is now baked and only very minor changes if any will be in the final release. OS X 10.11.1 is already in Beta.

Last edited:
It appears dongles are a necessary evil.

There are known issues with Cubase 8, Nuendo 7 crashes, Steinberg dongle dropouts, UAD Satellite and Apollo Firewire drivers not working, Focusrite USB, Pro Tools 12.2 and iLok issues to name a few.

OS X 10.11.0 is now baked and only very minor changes if any will be in the final release. OS X 10.11.1 is already in Beta.

My UAD Apollo and Satellite are just fine on a clean 10.11 GM install (both are thunderbolt). None of it effects me happily.

And just to add that this is not an unfamiliar thing at all if you've been around the OS testing world for any length of time. In fact that's pretty darned good if that's the only stuff that need updates. Most of these companies don't work on or release any updates for the new until until it actually ships. There's probably a good chance that at least some of them have updates sitting waiting in the wings that are getting tested with the GM and will be tested with the final release before they publish them. Don't forget this software is still not even released yet and up until recently the public would not even have a copy of it to play with and complain about when their software or drivers don't work as expected.

Actually many companies do test and fix things with Beta OS versions and and even if things are working well, most won't release fixes or offer support right at OS launch although there are exceptions. The main reasons are to give some soak time for the final OS build in public hands as well as soak time for 3rd party software to bake with in house and Beta testing.

Many, many times last min OS changes can hose things. This was true with Microsoft XP before SP1, Vista, 8.0, OS X 10.9 Mavericks & 10.10 Yosemite and now with 10.11 GM. Like it or not, companies these days also rely on customer feedback to find and catch issues. (thus the OX 10.11 public beta) While audio companies most often officially suggest to not upgrade at OS launch, and smart and experienced users won't immediately upgrade, they know many users will upgrade and they count on that to help them identify and report issues.

The UAD issue seems to be Firewire driver signing related as Thunderbolt is working fine. UAD firewire was ok in early OS X 10.11 Beta seeds. A new UAD Beta build to fix the issue is expected next week but that likely means that at OS X 10.11 launch, UAD Firewire users will have to wait for the next UAD Firewire release. And thou the UAD Firewire driver signing issue will be fixed, it is highly unlikely that UA will consider that release as OS X 10.11 qualified until OS X 10.11 has time to soak in the public and in their testing grid.

No company in their right mind, for the exact reasons you state (that things can do a big change in the final release version) will update and.or specifically release updates before the final OS is out and they have tested their stuff. Again this is the problem with Apple making their betas publicly available now, too many people assume/demand that everything works with the beta. There's a reason it's a beta! That's exactly when things are going to change and.or break. P.S. I've been testing Apple's OS betas since the early 90's ... been around the block a time or two.

Interesting is that W10 was a complete waste case for Firewire in general in the early preview Beta's including audio until the RC build just before release. Towards the middle end of the Beta test cycle they even started allowing users to install legacy Firewire drivers from W8 and W7 that required to be installed for every new build that helped, but were not stable. Then at the final RC build before release, W10 firewire started working (at least for many pro audio devices such as RME and UAD) So far so good even with the W10 Beta preview builds since release including the one from a few days ago.

As a pro audio Dev myself for many years, I can tell you this kind of stuff can drive you crazy and cause much frustration as the Beta build release notes (when they are provided) are often incomplete, vague in specific details of changes from build to build, and it takes forever to get a response from a knowledgeable person (engineer) from MS or Apple as you are usually dealing with a Program or Product manager who is most often not technical enough to be of real value in helping resolve issues. At least they will file a bug you provide to them so it's on the list of things to be fixed. Don't get me stated in a whole other fiasco in getting a bug resourced and prioritized...

I have had direct access to Radar Web to file my own bugs (and even assign and escalate them myself) since the 90's :D As for getting them prioritized hah, good luck with that. I have serious bugs that were file against OS 7.6.x that were never resolved and the OS retired with them still present.

As a pro audio dev you should know better than to waste time working on things (at least in a serious or meaningful way) until Apple drops the documentation or does a final release. Doing it any other way is almost always the path to pain.

Well, testing new OS Beta's is part of Dev work and is part of the paid job so it's not a waste of time. After all, a good Dev will at least do some basic testing of their resolved fixes before throwing it over the fence to SQA and Beta teams.

I do more then just Dev work as I'm also paid to record, produce, mix and master audio in various forms, so it is also in my selfish best interest to use Beta software and directly report issues that I find as I also have direct contacts with other 3rd party pro audio Dev's. I always have the most recent audio and OS software (and patches) of anything I want or need as well as get paid to use and debug all that software while still having the ability to go back and use a release version if need be. Having been doing this for quite a while and being methodical and organized, there is very little pain when you know to manage it all. Of course you also have to have the ever constant mind set, attitude, passion and desire to really want to fix and improve things, which I do.

Having others share your pain helps in prioritizing what gets fixed. There are many times when known issues that are logged to be fixed NEVER get resourced to get fixed as part of what gets priority of getting them fixed compared to new features and other fixes has to do with how much pain a company endures from customer complaints and their desires.

Well, whatever. Putting aside who can stream their uric data farther for a moment, the current beta driver works great under the 10.11 GM. I've gone back to 10.10.5 because of some problems with AMS and Mail, but the immediate future looks okay for Tascam users.

Well, whatever. Putting aside who can stream their uric data farther for a moment ...

I bet you make lots of friends with comments like that.

I don't care. Try to spread a little cheer and it turns into this. And actually, I do make friends easily among people who appreciate a little wit or a fine turn of phrase. :cool:

I'm so over this whole forum thing.

I'm not saying I don't appreciate it ... and I do have to say I agree with you there and my comment was in a similar fashion. Cheers!

And I am super happy that we have Redbus here helping to take care of us, otherwise we would have been under the bus ages ago.

Greeting to all. I just installed the El Capitan GM on a secondary drive in preparation for it's final release and it doesn't recognize my IF-FW MKII. When I open the the control panel I get "No Device Found". If I boot back to Yosemite it works fine. Anyone else having a problem? If so, any ideas?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.