414 mki balance questions, and effects

granto

Gear owned
414 MkI
For my final mix, I want to make sure 2 tracks are panned fully left, while 2 are panned fully right. The manual is a little cryptic about this so I just want to make sure I have it right:

When doing a direct record of tracks 1-4, what will the panning of each of those tracks be? Does the pan pot on each track do anything when in direct record?

Second, I want to send (but not return) effects from one side (L or R) as a mono signal to an outboard mixer. How can I make sure I am only sending one side? Assuming I'm able to hard pan 2 tracks to L and 2 tracks to R like I mention above, would it just be a matter of turning up the effect 1 knob on the correct tracks?

First it must be understood that the inputs are related with tape track and the input select of tape is that track and then what you do with it is up to you at that point. You can send it out of the effects send by itself- there is no pan there as the effect send is a mono out to be processed
and brought back but also realize this is a small unit and lack at versatility of the larger products.
For instance the M50 allows a send and then a return on that same input module but it is a device 6 times larger and much more weight than the 414. What some people try to do is finished products on these but they have severe limitations and they learn that pretty quick. I did finished products using a A3340S and a M320 mixer but again this is a lot more of a set up.

The Pan on the input modules as they call it is for output control to the stereo Buss that would be mixed down into a 1/2 track deck or in this case maybe a good cassette deck with just two channels like the Tascam 122B or later 122 Mk II. The effects out are not stereo and so are not affected by the Pan pot.
You only have a single effects send on this unit so doing two at the same time would effectively mix the two signals together.
When confusion occurs about signal paths I consult the Block diagrams in the owners manuals.
This gives the simpler version of signal flow not including Op Amp diagrams and so.

I don't see a direct record function here but that would recording to each track direct and no pan would be involved.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.