Phil Tipping

Staff member
From
West Wales, UK
Website
www.philizound.co.uk
Gear owned
dp-32sd
Have always been wary of global or semi-global phantom power so am thinking of a DIY mod (when the warranty runs out!) to make it switchable for each of the 8 inputs. A neat row of 8 miniature toggle switches might be feasible if there's room under the panel... or is this too much butchery? :)

What you want to do is definitely possible but it is really tight under the top panel for all those switches. If I was to attempt it, I would mount the switches on the right plastic side panel and fabricate a detachable wiring harness back to the respective 48v / plug source. I have spent quite a bit of time under the DP-24/32 hood so I am familiar with the space constraints.

I would say it's all a lot of work for no reason. Just check all mic cables you use for correct continuity and you can leave phantom power on for all channels. With the exception of some exotic (usually older) models, no mic can be harmed by correctly wired connections with 48V on hot and cold pins.

Thanks for the info Steven; will save me time if I ever decide to pursue this. Have since bought an 8-way pre-amp which coincidentally has the same 1-4 or 5-8 phantom power options so that's now compounded the 'problem'. Arjan's way is a lot simpler, but I'm just a worrier :)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.