Can not import WAV files with DP-24SD

Kail

Gear owned
DP-24SD
I've done it in the past, with no problem, but now they won't load. I copied the wav into audio depot, making sure it was named with single byte alphanumeric characters. I disconnect, Scroll up audio depot, fine the file.. but when I click import it says "Can not import" that's it. No reason given. I've tried loading it a few times, renaming it, but no go. I created a new song, and tried to load it into it, but it won't. I've tried changing the WAV attributes in Audacity, and changing the attributes of the song when I create it. Still no go. Any suggestions?

Just confirmed with mine. That message appears with no reason if bit rate or sampling freq don't match the song attribs.. but you've checked these. Is there enough space on the SD card? Try exporting something from another song, then create a new song and import it. If it works, that should eliminate the DP-24, so problem must be the file contents - either a dodgy transfer into AudioDepot or maybe Audacity hasn't created a proper wave file. Don't know that program so are there other options for saving wave files? I know Samplitude's working wave files look ok but are incompatible with some other programs so you have to be careful exporting them to create a standard portable file.
Last resort, email the file to me and I'll try it (use a small snippet if it's too big). If it doesn't work here, the problem must be with Audacity.

Last edited:
After trying over and over, the WAV finally imported. Why I don't know. It started telling me it was too big, I deleted them and tried again, and it loaded. Same file. Weird. Thanks for trying to help.

Glad you got it sorted, though might be useful to investigate in case it comes back and bites you later.

I guess it wasn't originally a "card full" error otherwise you would have seen it, although afaik when you import (or export), the machine copies the file(s) within the SD card so it will need space for this. If you have any non-wave files in the AudioDepot folder they won't show up on the import list, but they will be taking up space.

The file could have been corrupted, so check the transfer mechanism - if you're using USB, check if the cable & plugs are ok, is the lead on an extender, is it connected direct to the computer or via a USB hub, is the hub powered/non-powered etc.

If you're plugging the SD card directly into the computer, is the card ok? Could try re-formatting it (in the Tascam). There are several card issues on this forum. I found the Tascam list not very helpful as the exact model nos. were difficult to find. Would be better if they used conventional terms like the minimum read/write speed, UHS x, Class x etc. I use a 32GB SanDisk Extreme 90MB/s, SDHC, UHS-I, U3, Class 10, and have had no problems but it's expensive and probably an overkill, but I bought a couple before the unit arrived and just didn't want the hassle. The factory card turned out to be a 4GB micro SDHC, class 10 in an adapter. There are no other markings on it apart from E504G1538, TE2I150901008, and this seems ok with a simple multi-track playback & record test.

If you're using a Windows PC, I have a free data verifier program. If the fault occurs again, you could use it to check the SD card file is byte-for-byte the same as the PC file. The program was written to check USB transfers but can be used to check any device: memory sticks, CDs, hard discs, etc. It bypasses the Windows cache so you can run it repeatedly to provoke intermittent faults - a lot of other file comparison programs don't do this, so after the first run they just re-check the data cached in RAM. You can download it from here - should be v6.00 or later. Don't use other s/w distributors as they tend to copy & re-publish s/w without permission so I've no control over them - you could get an out-of-date version or they could include adware in their downloaders.

Apologise for the long post, but hope it helps.
Phil.

Thank you Phil. I believe the problem initially had to do with the type of wav, and the naming of it. Why the file would load one day and not the next I do not know. However I had a new file I loaded the next day without any problem. First I made sure the wav was 16 bit, and I named it very simply ie "track1". Loaded right up. Thank you for your efforts.

After having no problems for a month, suddenly I can't import again. The song says it's 16 bit, the wav is 16 bit. the title is simple and alpha numeric. What else can I check? I keep getting the "can not import" warning and that's all. I sure wish they gave you a clue as why not. Phil, can you help? I tried exporting and then importing a file, and it worked fine. How do I check the sampling frequencies?

An update: I have noticed files I can import are 1411kbps, but saving wav's from Audacity, saved at 16 bit, say they are 768kbps. I can not seem to alter kbps. Isn't bit rate and kbps the same thing?

Last edited:
This is outside my scope, but afaik kbps is usually used for mp3 files. Although I believe you can convert sampling frequency and bit depth into bits per second, mp3 is more involved as it is a compression algorithm (like jpg vs bmp for photos). So although Audacity has created a wave file, it may not be a simple uncompressed wave file (which the Tascam machine can handle). Just my 2 cents, so stand to be corrected. There's an article here which may help but have not read it myself yet :)
Update 1: just tried Audacity - did a simple recording at 44.1KHz, 32 bit float, then File, Export. Seems you get a choice of formats. Tried WAV (Microsoft) signed 16 bit PCM, and this created a file at 1411kbps, so if this is ok with the Tascam then maybe that's the solution?
Update 2: this link shows how to export a higher quality 24bit, 48KHz file - haven't confirmed it works with the Tascam machine so let us know if it works.

Last edited:
I solved the problem on this one. I took the WAV and turned it into a MP3. Then loaded it into Audacity and saved it again as a WAV. This time it loaded. And the bit rate was 1411 kbps.
Thanks Phil.

Hey guys,

Evidently a few years since this thread was opened but I've just experienced similar issues this afternoon and wanted to add a point that I don't think was originally mentioned. Basically...

I exported a MONO audio file into a Logic audio channel strip that I'd been using previously. In the Logic mixer it's VERY easy to overlook the fact that the channel strip is set to STEREO rather than MONO. In fact it's possible to import a mono file onto a stereo strip without receiving any warning messages at all. After editing in this scenario I tried to re-import the file into the DP and experienced many of the issues mentioned above. The solution was to set the Logic mixer channel strip to MONO then re-render the audio file in Logic and re-import this into the DP. Essentially, maintain a MONO workflow.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Hi all,
I'm new to the recorder and while I do my mixing on a laptop DAW I want to use my DP24 for raw recording.
I have some songs with tracks already partially recorded (wav tracks). I added those to the "song 01" folder and loaded the "song" but the tracks won't show or play. Is there a special way I need to name them to have the recorder recognize them?

Welcome to the forum.

There are several related things you need to know about importing wav files.

You'll find the answer to your question in the locked sticky threads pinned in the shaded area at the top of the first page of this DP-24/32/SD forum.

Each sticky thread has an index as the first post. Take a look in the "Equipment Related Tips" sticky as a starting point.

Since you're a new member, I strongly suggest reading the "New Members" sticky thread for very important/critical information about the DP-24/32/SD units and making use of this forum.

I also recommend reviewing all the indexes to get a sense of the broad volume of information the volunteer experts on this forum have created and gathered together for the community. While the stickies may not always address unique issues precisely, you'll almost always find guidance there to get you pointed in the right direction.

If you're still stuck after reading the relevant sticky thread(s), come back to this thread, tell us what you've tried and where your stuck, and we'll try to get you going in the right direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Porter
I keep seeing people talk about importing via audio depot. Is that software for the laptop?
Also, is there not a way to just load the files directly to the SD card in a song folder directly?

Welcome to the forum Joe.
The import/export process is a much-misunderstood process, but it's the recommended method for transferring individual tracks between the DP machine and a computer.

The 'export' function on the DP machine creates temporary files in a special folder on the sd-card called AudioDepot. Once the files are there, you can copy them from there to a computer. No special software is required to do this. A computer will just 'see' the card when it is plugged in or connected via USB, so you can then use the computer to navigate to the AudioDepot folder and copy the files.

The import process works in reverse. You have to copy the files from the computer into the AudioDepot folder on the card, then run the 'import' function on the DP machine which moves the files into the current song and configures its internal control files appropriately. If you simply copy a file into the song directly, the control files won't be updated so the song won't have any knowledge of it.

Reactions: -mjk-
Many thanks! I was used to my old hard disc recorder just accepting the files as long as they were named to a proper style. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Phil Tipping
@Joe Lynch welcome to the Tascam Forums. Sooner or later you're going to have to acquaint yourself with the sticky threads that @Mark Richards mentioned to you in the thread you started. This is the index for the Equipment Related Tips:

https://www.tascamforums.com/posts/29572/

Often the answers are complicated, and the "instant reply" won't work very well. Because there are a number of questions we've found over the years that come up over and over again, we've complied a comprehensive compendium of data and put them in the "sticky" threads (also called "pinned threads"). We are also doing this over time with the new Model series. As you can see, post #2 https://www.tascamforums.com/posts/29575/ addresses very important issues concerning how to import files into the machine.

The DP series are not like the older systems, so you're also going to need to read the user manual which can be downloaded here: Owner's manual (tascam.com)

Thanks, I had gone their and found the relevant post, but your explanation was much clearer, thanks again

Joe - The first possible issue is that your WAV files are not in the same format (bit depth and sampling size) as the currently-loaded file in the DP-24/32. The next possible issue is that copying files to the card is not how the DP-24/32 works. You need to use the AudioDepot folder and the IMPORT feature. Maybe read this too: https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dp24-32-equipment-related-tips.5817/#post-29575

So yes, do as Mark suggests and I bet you'll get your answer quickly. Thorne

Last edited:
I am trying to backup songs on a 2nd SD card. Exported songs via audio depot onto computer. Formatted a new SD card (approved, 32 gb) and attempted to import these songs via audio depot onto the new card without success. The wav files have the exact name they were assigned by the Tascam. I have tried individual and batch. No joy. Seems like the simplest of back and forth processes and an import one given the glitchyness of the SD cards.

You formatted the SD card and made new songs to import the file to. Most likely you used a different bit depth and resolution from the original. The DP machines default to 16 bit/44.1 kHz, so if you don't change it when you create the song you cannot change it later.

Reactions: Joseph W Kuhl
I am trying to backup songs on a 2nd SD card.
A much simpler way, which avoids any bit depth and resolution issues, is to simply copy whole song folders (which live under the MUSIC folder) to the other sdcard.
When you format a card on the DP machine, a MUSIC folder is created automatically. Just copy one or more song folders from the old card into this folder.
As long as you treat each song folder as a 'self-contained' entity and don't mess with files inside it, this process retains all settings for each song.
Exporting tracks is still useful for other reasons as explained in the sticky notes, but copying song folders is perfectly ok for quick backups or re-organising your songs across cards.

New threads

Members online