Discovering the Tascam MX-2424

sr71rules

Hello All,

I've been searching for a long while to find a machine that does what the MX-2424 does. I'm in the process of rebuilding my studio and while I want to have access to my Pro Tools Rig I don't want it to necessarily be the focal point of every session. I have been looking for a decent MTR that can allow me a reasonably powerful GUI but also easily let me interface with Protools. With the MX-2424's ability to be an AD/DA unit, transfer between Protools and offer pretty powerful editing through MX View I have finally found my ideal solution. I'll be picking up at least one unit, possible two.

Having read through the forums over the past couple of weeks I still have one or two questions which I'm hoping someone here may be able to answer...

Firstly, the MX-2424 can record at 96k but with 1/2 the number of tracks. I gather that via TDIF you can still use the machine as an AD/DA converter but I'm wondering if the same is true for ADAT. Can I use the three pairs of ADAT connectors to send 96k audio into a computer interface?

Secondly, What are people using for external SCSI enclosures? I've been digging around a bit for rack-mount 1U enclosures but I'm not finding much that seems to fit the bill. I don't want an external enclosure to add a lot of noise to the studio if I can avoid it and buying a tower style unit would certainly make it more difficult to take the MX-2424 on the road.

Witzendoz, I see you also have a Tascam M3700 in your studio. What did you do for wiring? Are you using just the buses to send to the recorder or are you also using the Direct Outs? What are you doing to take the +4 output of the MX-2424 and interfacing it to your -10 Tape Ins?

I used the MX-2424 back years ago when I was at school but we were always just given the unit pre-loaded with a song that we were using for a lesson. I've never used it as anything more than playback and I am very much looking forward to it.

Robert

sr71rules said:
Firstly, the MX-2424 can record at 96k but with 1/2 the number of tracks. I gather that via TDIF you can still use the machine as an AD/DA converter but I'm wondering if the same is true for ADAT. Can I use the three pairs of ADAT connectors to send 96k audio into a computer interface?

Secondly, What are people using for external SCSI enclosures? I've been digging around a bit for rack-mount 1U enclosures but I'm not finding much that seems to fit the bill. I don't want an external enclosure to add a lot of noise to the studio if I can avoid it and buying a tower style unit would certainly make it more difficult to take the MX-2424 on the road.

Witzendoz, I see you also have a Tascam M3700 in your studio. What did you do for wiring? Are you using just the buses to send to the recorder or are you also using the Direct Outs? What are you doing to take the +4 output of the MX-2424 and interfacing it to your -10 Tape Ins?

I am sure you can record 96k via Adat, you will have to use all 3 Adat outs to get 12 channels of 96k.

I use an upright Scsi enclosure (no brand name visible) with rack out bays, I have changed the fans out to quiet fans. I did use a server case for a while with the drives mounted in it and I converted the connections on the back to scsi. There is a ton of secondhand scsi gear on ebay, just make sure you get 68pin connectors.

I have a 24 channel "-10 unbalanced to +4 balanced & + balanced to -10 unbalanced box" that my tech built for me, I use that between the MX and the M3700. I use both direct outs and the sub outs depending on what I am doing. If I am using my external mic pres I feed them straight to the MX, when using the second MX (2 x Mx's together) I patch the input from the -10 / +4 box to the second MX, the returns from the second mx come back through line level inputs on the M3700 instead of the tape ins.

Alan.

I am also wanting to try the 96k through the adats when I get my cpu setup happening, but I remember reading some time ago somewhere that the adat cards on the mx were not capable of 96k, so if you try it please let us know the results.

Thanks for the info witzendoz. I have 48 channels of -10-> +4 and vice versa so I'll plan to make use of them.

My hunt for an MX-2424 continues...

New threads

Members online

No members online now.